Sign in to follow this  
benmmellor

BenMMellors Silver GT86 - Project Log

Well I've had the GT86 for 2 years now.. Started off as a search when Andrea (wifey) said to buy myself one for my 40th!

As it started out when I picked it up 2 years ago :

DSC_0706.jpg

Most mods have been purchased by fairly well timed vulturing as people de-mod their leased GT86's whereas I plan to keep mine for a while like I did with the Gen6 Celica I had for near 13 yrs.

First quick additions to improve the 'breathing' with an HKS Suction kit and start my blue/silver colour scheme with a blue engine cover:

DSC_1627.jpg

Injen Cat-back Exhaust (had to have the blue tips!):

DSC_1485.jpg

DSC_1486.jpg

As of this weekend, the Cusco engine bay 'bling' has been added in and all logged on the mod list for the insurance:

DSC_2302.jpg

Also fitted in February was a set of Focal integrated speakers and the Subaru auto-close mirror module (which I can;t understand why it was never fitted as 'standard')

Couple of things happening in the next month or two:

March Mods:

Secondary de-cat (HKS frontpipe) and lower 25mm on Eibachs (can't justify the cost of coil-overs in my mind) and i managed to pick up a full set of low mileage suspension with springs already fitted for a quick swap out.

Dashboard plastics being sent to Simon @ Hide'n'Seat when I get chance to be coverd in alcantara or leather...

April - TRD Kit lands (finally given it was ordered from Fensport in September 2016!) and OEM Sharkfin Aerial and I can get it sprayed up an fitted.

At some point I'll be deciding on new alloys to swap out the stock ones.

On the parts shelf ready for when the warranty starts to run out - Crawford Billet Performance Blocks. ;) then a re-map with all the NA mods!

Latest mods now installed - HKS Frontpipe and the suspension legs swapped over to the ones with the Eibach's on.All done by Rich's team @ RRG whilst it was in for service and the recall work.

Looks like a nice drop on it now and the exhaust a little throatier whilst still not annoying on the motorway. Seems to rev a bit more freely now and felt faster on acceleration.

Also had the call from Fensport that my kit is being delivered on monday - but sadly my bodyshop can't fit me in until mid-April now to spray and help fit it. bugger!

Out of interest did you feel the front and rear braces added anything as ive been thinking about getting a set but wondering if it's more aesthetics over performance

20 hours ago, bassett said:

Out of interest did you feel the front and rear braces added anything as ive been thinking about getting a set but wondering if it's more aesthetics over performance

With the lowering springs I can feel it being a bit more 'solid' on the turns - that was ust the fronts, the rear brace only went on this week but again it does feel a little better.. maybe a placebo but it seems to have had an affect.

17 hours ago, Foulsmell said:

How do you rate the speakers? Was thinking of having a punt.

I find them a good sound - but 50% deaf in one ear anyway lol. If I upgrade the HU then they should be pretty good for everyday use.

My mate who is a bit of an audiophile said they sounded good enough to him when he had a test drive at the weekend.

The TRD looks so good on silver and you can see every line. Very nice! I just read you got the subaru auto mirror module. did you fit it youself, how much was it and where can i get it! : )

1 minute ago, jevvy said:

The TRD looks so good on silver and you can see every line. Very nice! I just read you got the subaru auto mirror module. did you fit it youself, how much was it and where can i get it! : )

I bought it on-line from Japan - took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Fairly easy to fit if you follows the instructions someone wrote (will find the link again) - a bit of contortion to do it but easy enough to do on the drive.

27 minutes ago, Riceburner said:

Looks great Ben :)

Thanks Rich - Feedback to Toyota HQ they need to offer the kit pre-painted in silver/installed at factory in future!

Just need some deeper offset wheels to 'finish' the look!

Decided to get a dashcam - wanted something small and un-obtrusive. The advantage of Amazon prime meant ordering a few, trying them and sending back what didn't suit.

The 3 that I shortlisted were the Viofo A119S V2 (Wedge shape with screen), Goluk T3 (Wifi) and Viofo WR1.

The Goluk T3 was pretty nifty but the fixed position holder didn't allow adjustment of the camera to be in the right position. It then came down to the Viofo's.

The A119S V2 is pretty well rated - but they have just released the WR1 which is a small puck design and you use an App on your phone. This means it's a little cheaper ;).

Playing about with the WR1 proves it to be pretty functional for what I need so that's been kept and will be fitted when I get chance next week.

Dashcams are always handy and useful. I have a thinkware F770 and the app is super handy. The wires are really easy to hide in the trim as well. You will have no problems installing it.

Any recommendations on new nuts to complement the new wheels?

Seeing as I have a blue & silver thing going on under the bonnet, I was thinking of new blue wheel nuts to go with the OZ HyperGT HLT wheels...

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/wheel-nuts-accessories/muteki-sr35-closed-steel-wheel-nut-sets-with-locking-nuts.html