xxJaRxx

Jackson Racing Supercharger

55 minutes ago, maurice said:

Wow 3k fitted and mapped is seriously cheap! It's almost not fair to compare to a Cosworth or Harrop when half the price.. 

It was only that cheap as they had an old blower on the shelf they needed rid of. Standard price puts it right up against the rest of the kits at close to £5k.

I don't know where £3k came from but when I looked on the TTS website the DIY kit was £3.3k without VAT, ECU software and tuning.  It's not a budget option IMO. The plug and play package is £4.2k + VAT

21 hours ago, Paul said:

Also with a few mods, the car can still reach license-losing territory pretty damn quick. I've seen the speedo hit silly speeds in no time at all and mine's only got intake and exhaust mods with a remap.

I thought the car frequently felt too slow in NA guise, even up the rev range. Adding 100hp to the rear wheel takes it to another dimension in terms of driving excitement, and I do use the extra torque on the road. Subsequently you don't have to rely on (more dangerous) lateral g forces for thrills.

I agree that throttle 'controllability' is diminished, which is something I miss a bit from before the supercharger went on. I would never go back through. It's 10x better now.

4 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I agree that throttle 'controllability' is diminished, which is something I miss a bit from before the supercharger went on

In what way? I don't have this issue. My throttle response and control is as good if not better than stock.

14 hours ago, knightryder said:

In what way? I don't have this issue. My throttle response and control is as good if not better than stock.

No it isn't. Even though a supercharger doesn't have the issues that a turbo has, you always lose response compared to an NA. It's not a huge amount, but  it is there. 

Thanks for the replies. I'm about 20 pages through the 280 page JR thread on FT86Club so still got a way to go! Interestingly it seems JR have developed a SC upgrade into their package - the Rotrex C38. Seems it makes better power top end but less so lower down than the C30.
http://blog.vittuned.com/jackson-racing-supercharger-on-the-ft-86-fr-sbrz/

Found this comparison too which is quite interesting. (Not sure if this is common knowledge but the Innovate is the US name for the Sprintex apparently). Seems the KW kit came top with JR close behind - makes sense as they use the same SC. The thing that worries me the most is what the tester says about the charge air temps raising after a few runs on the dyno. As I be tracking the car this is a bit of a concern. I will ask about this when I email JR.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61589#

@S18 RSG That price is insanely good! Even if they gave you the SC for free they would still be knocking money off the RRP and fitting it! Definitely don't think I'll be able to get anywhere close to that but I think TTS would knock 10% off quite easily.

The more I read about centrifugal the more I think it's what would suit me best. I will try to get some passenger rides from some nice people with different setups though to see how they all feel.
Back to researching :)

James

On 18/02/2017 at 8:33 PM, knightryder said:

I think it's subtle but there is slightly less response - even in the hard throttle map. What may be confusing the matter a bit is that I spend way less time up the rev range now with FI. I also don't find myself feathering it on the limit of rear wheel grip going round a corner, because the power level needed to lose traction is achieved much earlier.