V8 Tej

GT86 Cracked Windscreen

Well they certainly don't make 'em like they used to! It could be because they are very thin on this car to keep the weight down, but the Windscreens on these cars seem very fragile. We've just bought a car and unfortunately a stone hit the screen near the RH A pillar whilst on the motorway. This developed in to a small crack within about 10 minutes. The following morning it had grown to about 4 inches long. I have filled in the crack with some repair resin to prevent it getting bigger (it's now barely noticeable) and we will be having a new screen fitted asap. From reading on the web, it seems that these are quite common to crack. It was just a short journey in the car and I usually cover 20k miles a year in my cars which have never had this. Even the Gen 7 Celica my Wife owned for 11 years prior to this never had such an issue :( 

I thought I'd report it on here so there is another 'log' of it. I found that 1 owner has had 3 screens already fitted! I know that Toyota are not admitting any fault yet but surely it is on their radar as a potential design fault.

I lost a screen last year to debris from construction traffic. I put the hard stares on local councils for surface dressing roads, which results in very large numbers of stone impacts, and the company that replaced it were booked up for weeks in advance.

It sucks.

I think I've been uber lucky as I have a pretty big chip that still after many miles and track days hasn't changed, I know I need to get it sorted but works been so busy that I keep on forgetting to ring up the insurance company.

I've done 92K miles now. Still on the original windscreen. It's got a few chips in it, but otherwise okay. I never bothered filling them or anything and both have been there for about two years now. 

my 14 plate has only 8k on her but no issues either. Even when a large flat thcik bit of plastic from the car in front threw up hit the screen. No issues 

Hmmm....Interesting. We all have differing uses of our cars so no surprise about the mixed responses.

I had only done about 50 miles in the car when it happened which is either bad luck, a bad batch of windscreens or both. As I said above, I do 20k miles a year in my cars and have been doing for the past 10 years. This means I do a lot of motorway miles at high speed and none of my previous or current cars have suffered.

Its the same with picking up chips or nails in the tyres, just pot luck. How the windscreen got hit in the first place can easily determine how it'll crack further etc.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk