KobayashiMaru

Winter Tyres

4 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Yes it can be subjective but you can make it less likely for people to read into it incorrectly by wording slightly differently, that's the main problem with forums, it can be very easy to miscommunicate what you've written because someone can read it in a certain way and misinterpret your intentions because of it.  Using the phrases "nothing more than a fad" and "it's really a pointless exercise" are example of words which could have been reworded to come across as less opinionated.  I will give you credit that your first post had a fair chunk of informative information and well based comments but the start and end of it is what some people might interpret the wrong way.

Plus the part about calling someone a saleman's dream being satire isn't any better (googling satire gives - the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices), if it's supposed to be banter fair enough but know your audience or target before you try and brush it off as banter as they might not see it that way.

Agreed though, my post wasn't to shut people up, please do continue the discussion as intended, just please do consider how you are wording things.

Sometimes I forget that people on here don't know me as well as I'd like to think. Most of you know that I have a good sense of humor (especially you Keith) and that I'm equally opinionated, however it's a lot easier to communicate my sense of humor face to face than online, I accept that.

I think it's worth mentioning, I write how I do because it's my job. As a journalist, it's my job to be controversial, it's what pushes traffic to the site I'm writing for. I'll try and filter myself for the forum.

Winter tyres are great but it does depend where you live. I have sets for both my cars, but even in the North West I didn't need them last winter.

If I lived in the South I doubt I'd bother...

But there have been some real cold snaps over the last few years round here and they were just brilliant on snow and slush, and they're generally better in the cold anyway.

Plus it's an excuse to own another set of wheels isn't it? There is that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Keethos said:

Right, I'm putting my foot down and calling it here, no one is questioning other peoples opinions, no one is saying you can't have a different opinion, different opinions are great for discussion etc.

The issue here (and also in other threads with other members), where arguments develop, is usually down to how people word their arguments.  You can easily word things too strongly to make them sound like they are coming across as fact and not allowing others to disagree/discuss.  There's plenty of good information for and against on this thread and is all it should be.  Experiences are great to give people ideas on what to potentially expect but if worded incorrectly can push people away from the product and from the discussion.  Granted you can be passionate or enthusiastic about things but please do check what you write and before anyone jumps on the bandwagon and tells me that they have the right to their opinions etc. again, I (and I'm sure many others) don't have a problem with your opinions, just please try and word it slightly differently so you don't come across overly aggressive, opinionated or big headed (obviously not saying that anyone is all of these things.....except for @smudge maybe :P only joking....Love you Jordan :lol:)

I'm writing a formal letter of complaint!

Winter tyres are not just about snowy weather. The rubber stays softer at lower temperatures so below 7 degrees c, they will give better grip than standard rubber. They also are designed to grip in the wet better than normal tyres.  In Snow the best thing to grip on snow is more snow. The tread in snow tyres makes the snow stick to the tread which then in turn grips to the snow. 

For where I live where the temperature is often below 7 degrees in the winter and is often wet, then its most certainly useful to use them. They do make a big difference in the above conditions, you try having a set of winters on the front and summer on the back and going round a corner in poor conditions. You  will find the front grips and rear looses traction a lot quicker than if you had winter tyres all round. I do not recommend fitting 2 winter tyres only, always go for 4. 

I can understand that for south of the UK where the temperature is not often below 7 Degrees C or wet then it may not be worth the few days when winter tyres would be an advantage but you cant say they dont work. They just are not as good above 8 degrees. In above 8 degrees then  the tyres seem to not grip as well and wear down quicker than summer tyres. 

Hope this helps add to some more info into winter tyres. The above is why some countries make it illegal to not have winter tyres on past certain dates. In the snow they make a huge difference. On ice nothing will grip so makes no difference. 

I would say that the real temperature (marketing stuff aside) where winter tyres prove advantageous is 2C and below. I live in Manchester, it's a very mild and wet climate in the North West on the Cheshire Plains. 

If I lived in the south east on the London/Kent borders where I grew up where colder temperatures and snow are more likely, I'd consider winter tyres. I've tried them though for two winters and it's just not cold enough to warrant it where I live.  

Depends what your summer rubber is as well. If running performance oriented tyres they're a bit softer anyway so seem to have a greater tolerance to lower temps. The more eco oriented tyres *cough* Primacy *cough* I find go a bit wooden.

On the one frosty morning we've had so far I noticed my Yokohamas were still performing well...

Last year I couldn't get the stock tyres off quick enough in Autumn.

I have a jack and torque wrench so I'll probably wait until it actually snows this year before I switch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now winter is all done we are about to go back to summers. The tyres I found pretty good in colder temps as expected and had confidence in them. Was only to the tail end of winter where you'd have a day around 10C where you'd notice them being a bit wobbly and I'd think about changing back but then you'd have a minus day where they'd come in handy. On my vRS I Michelin PS4's and at least twice they struggled to get out of my estate when we had ice. 

These will stay on the stock alloys now and we should be ordering the OZ Alleggerita alloys on Michelins soon. Just deciding on supplier. Most have said they come with the fitting kit but I'll buy extra spigot rings just in case.