Hi, I'm Martyn from Swansea, signed up to look for info on mods for my brother's 86. I nearly bought one a few years ago but life happened and missed my chance. Now he has one I'm jealous but also want to help him as much as possible with it. Spent a few hours driving it home and over the last few days and it's a great car even in stock form. A car that's bursting with potential

Just now, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard. Is your brother on here yet? 

The burning question is, how are you planning on modding his car? 

For me it's all new because I'm used to tuning Skoda's. A quick map seeing easy gains, change intercooler, exhaust system and intake for stage 2 and my Mk2 Octavia vRS has 282bhp. Now it's a boxer and N/A tuning I need to get my head around what mods actually benefit it as it's fairly tuned already. A catback and a downpipe saw good gains on my vRS but on the 86 it's better to change manifold first? That's probably one of the first things I change.

For now we'll stick with N/A as I don't want to lose the "86ness" of the car just yet plus he has to get used to RWD (came from a Swift Sport). I owned a Z4M a few years ago but this somehow this seems more playful and fun even though it's not as powerful and in mnay ways it's better. It's probably because it's limits are more achievable and it's definitely a chassis that's confidence inspiring. No doubt you'll see many silly questions over the coming days.

360718c7-e09f-4ca1-8083-b53d702f8bc1_zps

Detailed it and got a few more coats of Collinite wax on so it's beading well now.
IMG_1905_zps9cw8pthm.jpg
IMG_1904_zpsij5m2wr0.jpg

Welcome to the club, there are a couple of threads which will give you a good idea on where to start, Tuning Development even do such a kit of mods for new comers.

The short answer seems to be filter, decatted manifold and remap to go faster, and then rest of the exhaust for a little extra and more noise if that's your thing.

Only about 20bhp to be gained which may not seem much for the £s but it's the midrange torque that benefits the most. Very worthwhile.

Tuning Developments are our friendly North West based tuner, there is also Fensport and Amber further South. All seem to know their onions and people on here have all sorts done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Lauren said: Welcome aboard. Is your brother on here yet? 

The burning question is, how are you planning on modding his car? 

For me it's all new because I'm used to tuning Skoda's. A quick map seeing easy gains, change intercooler, exhaust system and intake for stage 2 and my Mk2 Octavia vRS has 282bhp. Now it's a boxer and N/A tuning I need to get my head around what mods actually benefit it as it's fairly tuned already. A catback and a downpipe saw good gains on my vRS but on the 86 it's better to change manifold first? That's probably one of the first things I change.

For now we'll stick with N/A as I don't want to lose the "86ness" of the car just yet plus he has to get used to RWD (came from a Swift Sport). I owned a Z4M a few years ago but this somehow this seems more playful and fun even though it's not as powerful and in mnay ways it's better. It's probably because it's limits are more achievable and it's definitely a chassis that's confidence inspiring. No doubt you'll see many silly questions over the coming days.

360718c7-e09f-4ca1-8083-b53d702f8bc1_zpshcxigpt8.jpg

Detailed it and got a few more coats of Collinite wax on so it's beading well now.

IMG_1905_zps9cw8pthm.jpg

IMG_1904_zpsij5m2wr0.jpg

Lovely beads! Love Collinite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk