S18 RSG

Suspension setups question

On 15/06/2016 at 4:28 PM, S18 RSG said:

After buying the Tein coilovers as everyone suggested, as well as sorting out alignment (2deg negative camber front, 1.8deg rear) and getting the dampers tuned to a nice balanced setting (fairly stiff, but still forgiving over bumps) I'm now trying to find the best way to dial out some of the body roll present in the car. I feel like the car grips very well, and the tyres are able to stick to the road when required, however the sensation of cornering is still fairly exaggerated with the body roll. 

I don't particularly want to stiffen the dampers any more (certainly not for road use anyway) as the ride suffers far more than I gain. What would you guys suggest as the next step?

I see there are plenty of options out there, anti roll bars, chassis stiffening kits, body braces and all sorts, but I've read good and bad about most of the options, especially anti roll bars and them being too stiff and causing a loss of traction.

Anyone had any good experiences with any particular products that they would recommend?

This has been my experience.

Initially I just wanted to lower it a little as I have no intention of tracking at, just occasional 'fast road'. Went for lowering springs and ARBs. Felt great to begin with as much stiffer and more edgy but soon got tired with it - too stiff for daily use. Decided it was the springs at fault so switched back to OEM and it's hardly any better. It's the ARBs and bushes that make it so stiff - I have probably the softest after-market set up; Eibach Anti Roll Bar Kit, but still too harsh for me really. Squeaks like a b*st*rd when it's cold too.

Do the research and try as many different setups as you can before spunking out for something you may regret later.

Having tried the Litchfield handling kit which has lowered springs, Eibach I believe and corresponding bigger ARB's, I can confirm that it is the worst suspension setup I've ever experienced. The ride was terrible and it didn't handle well either. I can only conclude that Litchfield don't have a danny when it comes to handling of GT86's. 

Lauren's right as it was my GT that had setup and it was awful. I listened to wrong people and should of stuck with what I new from motorbike background and how to set up suspension and what the basic principles are.

Having dampers matching the spring rate is essential to start with plus brake set up, tyres etc. Domino effect as everything needs to work together and understand why you are doing it.

Plus it depends on how you drive and what you want from it. Just getting the car balanced car with adjustable coilovers on scales first can improve handling.

The Eibach ARB setup is alot stiffer than stock, not something I'd want to run on my car.

Front Increase over stock

Size: 25mm

P1 = 66 N/mm (376 lbs/in) +167 %
P2 = 86 N/mm (488 lbs/in) +248 %

Rear Increase over stock

Size: 19mm
P1 = 38 N/mm (217 lbs/in) +92%
P2 = 50 N/mm (283 lbs/in) +153%

11 minutes ago, kurosagi01 said:

Someone on eBay is actually selling the Eibach/Litchfield lowering springs+ARB kit right now,is it actually that bad of comfort?

Judging by the following comment from Lauren, who's probably tried more suspension setups than most people on these cars, I wouldn't go with it personally.

On 21/06/2016 at 7:34 PM, Lauren said:

Having tried the Litchfield handling kit which has lowered springs, Eibach I believe and corresponding bigger ARB's, I can confirm that it is the worst suspension setup I've ever experienced. The ride was terrible and it didn't handle well either. I can only conclude that Litchfield don't have a danny when it comes to handling of GT86's. 

And Mike who actually owned the package:

On 21/06/2016 at 7:56 PM, MikeB said:

Lauren's right as it was my GT that had setup and it was awful. I listened to wrong people and should of stuck with what I new from motorbike background and how to set up suspension and what the basic principles are.

Bits on eBay are off my GT. When I spoke to Litchfield about it they said the setup was designed on there BRZ which had 18" wheels with Michelin sport 2's and they thought 17" wheels with yokohama advan 105's could of caused the problem. 

Some people might like there setup but I did not which is why I am selling the bits.

I think the problem was that Litchfield didn't specify that. When I went in the car I really was suprised at the terrible ride quality. I asked Richard to try it and he agreed. 

Heavier wheels would likely lessen the issue to an extent. But it's still poor. Lowering springs and ARBs are a cheap way to do it, but the cheap way is rarely better. Much more preferable to fit dampers matched to a spring rate as lowering springs on their own generally do not work well in the GT86's I've driven or been in. 

I was being sarcastic . Sounds like a rather dodgy bit of post justification from Litchfield...

The only bit I don't like about the standard set up is the dampers, so seems odd to change everything else.

Anyway - I'll get to try my own gamble on Friday when Richard's guys put my Bilstein B14s on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wheels and tires were bought through Litchfield which are lighter than stock so as you can imagine I am rather annoyed about the whole thing especially when I took one of there main guys out in it. 

I could go on about the whole episode but TEIN and RRG were very good after having several conversations on options etc. When I dropped car off with Richard I asked him to try it before and after and it was like chalk and cheese. 

Personally I would always suggest matching damper to spring rate and separate compression and damping adjustment but depends on budget and what you want from suspension.