Fenhopper

Alarm keeps going off

My alarm went off a few times today for no obvious reason.

The car was parked up on my driveway and hadn't been driven for a couple of days. I have a 2014 car with the low capacity battery and I'm wondering if this could be another symptom of the known issue of battery drain when the car hasn't been driven for a while?

It seems to be behaving itself now I've taken it out for a drive. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Thanks all,

Fenhopper.

Check the bonnet sensor. It's a sort of rubber bit on a spring in the top left of the engine bay if you're looking at it from the front of the car

There's like a cup attached to the bonnet which pushes the sensor down when it's closed. If it doesn't align properly then the alarm can go off because it thinks the bonnet is open

Sorry if I haven't explained that very well :lol:

Thanks for the reply Smudge, but it's not the bonnet sensor, I've been caught out by that one before. :)

It's been ok this afternoon since I took it out for a drive, so I'm suspecting battery drain due to lack of use could be the problem, although two days of non-use does seem a bit of a short duration.

I'm just hoping it doesn't kick off again in the middle of the night and upset the neighbours!

Cheers.

I can't remember hearing any issues with low battery causing the alarm to trigger but I do vaguely remember people getting the sensitivity of their alarm systems turned down via the lil keypad within the glove box I think.

Thanks for your tip Keethos. No problems overnight (thank goodness) and no problems today, but done 68 miles in it today, so battery should be well charged.

I'm wondering if I accidentally hit an alarm button or two when I was chucking stuff into the glove box, which may have resulted in the the sensitivity being reset.

All I can do for now is keep an eye on it, or perhaps an ear would be more appropriate.

Appreciate the reply,

Fenhopper.

Hi guys 

My GT is back with Toyota after a week of ownership due to multiple alarm activations. Bonnet switch has been sorted, just wondering was there any out come to this post?