Sign in to follow this  
Willtl

How dare they!

As we all know, the manufacturers published figures on fuel consumption are never achievable as they are probably based on fuelling the car with exactly one gallon and removing unnecessary weight such as seats etc. My BMW 325i had an urban figure of something like 49mpg and I managed 41.3, our Dodge Journey has an urban figure of something like 47mpg and once I managed 43.5 mpg.

According to the BRZ literature, the unachievable urban figure should be 44.1 mpg. I've just returned from a round trip on one tank of fuel (pictures below were taken after refilling). Unsurprisingly, the average mpg was on the optimistic side but based on purchasing 43.95 litres to re-fill the tank, the returned consumption was 45.43 mpg. I find this a disgusting practise from Subaru, you should not be able to buy a car from a manufacturer, fill the tank, carry a passenger and return a mpg higher than the manufacturers figure.

I'm looking into the sale of goods act.....

Miles.jpg

MPG.jpg

That was done without cruise control (I've experimented with this in other cars and found switching it off is more economical). I decided I would not go above 70 (although went to about 72/73 in a couple of places) and according to my sat nav, 70 is about 66. This was a round trip from Grays in Essex to Leeds so no serious hills, but inclines and declines along the way. Some fairly serious traffic coming back today, but when I arrived last night the average mpg was showing 48.8, couldn't quite get it to show 50 what I was aiming for.

Well it's certainly true what you lose up the hill you get back on the other side. I know it's more economical without cruise control, though I admit that I use cruise control wherever I can at any speed, even the odd quiet 30. 

I managed an average of an indicated 50 point something over a drive from Manchester to Chester (M56) with cruise control on set around 90km/h following trucks. That was over 30 miles or so. 

My main car is a Merc with a published combined of 36MPG IIRC..... I rarely manage more than 32MPG and can just about hit 35MPH on long motorway journeys.

In the GT86 I managed about 20MPG :P but if I take it easy on long runs I can easily get into the 40's even with an SC bolted onto the car.

6 hours ago, Willtl said:

That was done without cruise control (I've experimented with this in other cars and found switching it off is more economical). I decided I would not go above 70 (although went to about 72/73 in a couple of places) and according to my sat nav, 70 is about 66. This was a round trip from Grays in Essex to Leeds so no serious hills, but inclines and declines along the way. Some fairly serious traffic coming back today, but when I arrived last night the average mpg was showing 48.8, couldn't quite get it to show 50 what I was aiming for.

You live in Grays and you managed to get out of the area must have been when the Dartford Crossing was open😂

5 hours ago, nikndel said:

You live in Grays and you managed to get out of the area must have been when the Dartford Crossing was open😂

Tell me about it! I live about 4 miles away from the crossing and in the last two weeks twice there has been a big knock on effect, meaning that the road I live in was grid locked and had to do a 50 minute walk to pick up my daughter from her school bus stop rather than a 5 minute drive. :(

That is super impressive really,i managed to achieve 320 miles full tank from my journey to Cardiff from Corby, then Cardiff back to Northampton on the Saturday and this is without pumping the tyres to correct pressure like i normally do at each fill up.

Sunday i've taken my grandma tescos which is only about 3-5 miles total there and back. The car achieved 38mpg which was the "target" mpg provided by Toyota lol. The car still had about 10 litres on fuel light,so car can probably manage 350 miles on steady drive before it dies perhaps.

12 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Multiply your average mpg by two when the light comes on to know your range left. 

Didn't even know that haha,but i wouldn't want run car to danger zone for that long,i headed straight for petrol station as i got commute to work the following day.

It's just basic maths really as the light comes on when there are 10 litres left. If you want to be safe, check your average mpg and then do that many miles more. The reality is the light comes on pretty early and there is still a fifth of a tank left. If like me, you like using Shell garages, I do at times have to plan trips on the motorway and frequently run with the low fuel light on for 20-30 miles. 

I make regular journeys back and forth to London (usually central London too) which is around a 350 mile round trip, and similar to you Lauren, I refuse to fill up anywhere but Shell. On my past few journeys I've made the entire trip easily in 1 tank, and manage to get back to my local Shell garage for a refill within a few miles of the light coming on. If it's later, or I'm in a rush the light occasionally comes on in England, but I always manage to get back to that same Shell garage.

Only time I've ever seen numbers like yours Will, are when I'm seriously concentrating on driving well. Such as this, over around 60 miles of motorway driving, and yes, the passenger took the photo before anyone asks.

IMG_0842.thumb.JPG.3a8e146accfa5b8619711

2 hours ago, nikndel said:

well a fatal at junction 2 M25 closed bridge slow hope it's sorted by 18002

They are slow, but I can't see them still trying to clear it in 15,986 years time.

1 hour ago, kurosagi01 said:

Didn't even know that haha,but i wouldn't want run car to danger zone for that long,i headed straight for petrol station as i got commute to work the following day.

Yes, you have to have a certain level of confidence in the readings to do this. I always like to think that when that light comes on, there is at least 10 litres left rather than the car just remembered to check and found there was 2 litres left so thought it had better tell you.

9 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Yes, you have to have a certain level of confidence in the readings to do this. I always like to think that when that light comes on, there is at least 10 litres left rather than the car just remembered to check and found there was 2 litres left so thought it had better tell you.

I know there be some petrol left even when the light comes on which obviously should give you enough to get you to next closest petrol station,its just that i always fuel up at shell garage like everyone else lol. The closest petrol station is in opposite direction to my work journey,so the next closest is near my office which is 22 miles away from my house. Which im sure the car can do it perfectly fine,but there are times there is a queue of cars out of blue in morning and i wouldn't want sit in traffic with light on.

1 hour ago, chillismoke said:

This is the worst thread EVER

Why? Because it's a "sports" car, so it should be driven "fast"?

Nothing wrong with a sports car that can do over 45mpg on a run. I'd have loved to have seen stories like this when I was looking to buy mine.

51 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Why? Because it's a "sports" car, so it should be driven "fast"?

Nothing wrong with a sports car that can do over 45mpg on a run. I'd have loved to have seen stories like this when I was looking to buy mine.

He works for Shell and is angry that I spent less on fuel. Double whammy though, I used Momentum 99 from Tesco.

2 hours ago, Willtl said:

He works for Shell and is angry that I spent less on fuel. Double whammy though, I used Momentum 99 from Tesco.

Oh, lol, my bad.