Sign in to follow this  
Ztox

What does this screw do?

Does anybody know what this screw is for (pics below)? Looking at it's location I'm inclined to think it hold some under tray in place or something but it seems a little long! I'm guessing it's nothing major but I'm a careful guy so I wouldn't mind knowing what it is and it's been too dark/wet so I haven't wanted to get underneath it.

I had a really nasty creaking noise when turning out of my garage block (90 degree turn) and I found this behind my front left wheel, seems to have completely unscrewed itself! :mellow:

I'm going to get it to Toyota ASAP as I want it looked at as I wonder how on earth it was making such a horrible, loud noise. I worry that the thread has been destroyed where I assume the screw was up against my tyre tread whilst turning.

Thanks in advance for any help.

That does not look like that should be there!! Everything in the wheel wells are plastic retaining clips. That's either road debris or someone has used that in place of a plastic clip, I really hope it's not the latter. Just rip it out!

Yea I had a feeling that was the case, I'm not a screw expert but I've never seen a Phillips head screw on a car apart from maybe on a headunit. I might go and take another look then, pretty sure that there is a greasy hole where it was so it's a bit odd... 

Before I found the hole I thought it could have flicked up as on the way to Thorpe Park I had an almighty bang come from underneath the car in that direction when  I was on the m25,strange that it's stayed there so well. 

No one has touched the car other than Torque Dev on my watch and Abbey so I can't see how it would have been put there deliberately.