Varelco

Help! Chewbacca in my car...

I've got a strange noise originating from the rear of the car, it becomes apparent as soon as I get the engine off idle. It stays at the same frequency despite engine RPM load or no load, some days it appears louder than others. Take a listen to the video, phone is placed face down on the armrest...

https://youtu.be/9YUrE_0t5-c

What could it be? Electric fuel pump? Chewie is that you....?

Edited by Varelco

My bet would be on fuel pump aswell. Diff preload clunk when engaged in gear is totally different. What else there is to sound like this when slightly rising rpms above idle while stationary? Not suspension, not transmission. Except maybe something dismounted/not fixed properly and resonating/vibrating at certain rpm frequency. By chance, variance in loudness is not related to how full was tank on different days?

I honestly have no idea, so i'm going to say it's genuinely chewbacca. Rumor has it when he finds a car to sleep in he gets quite attached, but the dealers can help remove him :D

Have you checked nothing is loose? That said it seems repetitive.

@Church good point on fuel tank level. I'll pay a bit mor attwntion and seee if it changes with regards to that.

@Rob, he doesn't sound very happy mate I think I might have to get Toyota to get him out. I've checked the usually suspects at the rear of the car and nothing appears loose, the noise is extremely repetitive though (volume and frequency) so don't think it's something loose.

One other thing it could be is the evap box thingy above the rear diff. If the valve on the manifold goes dodgy, I believe you will get this kind of noise as the air pulsates down the tube.