Gordong

New GT86 running in?

Hi Gordon

Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to the Forum.

Most of us (who bought 3 years ago) kept the revs down for 1000 miles. However, our boxer engine is a strong as a horse, the learning-curve within the dealer network has evolved (with input  from our trials and tribulations) and it should only take 100-odd miles to bed the piston rings in, so providing you don't boot it full power up to 7k in the first 500 miles you should be okay.

Enjoy it. Throw it about a bit on its silly tyres, especially through roundabouts. Get used to it. Feel the need for more power and then let your passion overrule you pocket . .

Spec K

Congrats and welcome to the club Gordon. I'd definielty recommend running any new car in, but not necessarily to as strict instructions as those in the manual. People can argue that manufacturing tolerances are better now days etc but there's other things that need running in (e.g. tyres, brakes etc) so just a bit of mechanical sympathy wouldn't hurt.

Manual says keep below 4000rpm for 1000 miles. I didn't particularly with mine, though I was careful. I varied the revs a lot, though and gradually increase it during the first 1000miles, so I didn't go from 4000rpm maximum to the redline the moment I went past 1000miles IYSWIM.  I've done 74000miles my car uses no oil and has been trouble free in that respect. 

I didn't do any kind of running in, it was dropped on my drive with nothing on the clock and I booted it up north and back again the same day and have driven her the same way ever since :-)