Mark_Swaddle

Supagard on a used car - worth it?

So I was at the Fiat garage earlier today with my girlfriend who was signing for her new 500. I was talking to the salesman about Supagard, which I've always liked the sound of, and he mentioned that they could apply it to my car for a discounted price of £200. Seems pretty reasonable, but my question is, is it worth it on a 3-year-old car? Or is it kind of pointless at this stage?

Even Supagard's site says it's useless on an old car as the "damage" is done.

Tells you all you need to know about that salesman if they think adding it to the car after this time against their own literature will help. http://www.supagard.co.uk/product-demos/paint-protection

I'd rather pay someone else to apply a better brand of sealant rather than the swirl monkey from the dealer.

Even Supagard's site says it's useless on an old car as the "damage" is done.

It's just paint sealant like any other. I have the stuff as I got it free when I bought the car, I'll use up the tube of it eventually.

Would I pay for it from a dealer, hell no ;)

It's probably worth pointing out that supaguard as a product isn't a bad sealant. It's more due to the people that apply it wrong which is the reason why it doesn't stay on for as long as advertised. 

I'll whack up a thread on when I done Chris' car on shortly as I was meant to do it ages ago (or he was) :P He documented the entire weekend he spent at mine doing his car with me. Even that went partly tits up as he was unable to stay another night! But more on that in the thread.

You can buy the supaguard kits on eBay for like £30 or less. The interior protector is ok. Probably better sealants out there.

For £200 you probably get a 17 ur old garage monkey that puts it on without prepping, so you seal dirt and unpolished paint.

Probably better investing in a detail elsewhere

I always shy away from any coatings on a new car. The paint is surely too fresh??

The paint on my van was about a week old when I got it, which is too soon to apply ANYTHING in my book? I am old school though!!

@Nigelr32 coatings can be applied 3 weeks after painting. So yeah it depends generally when it was painted, the 86 takes a while to get here so theoretically would be ok i'd imagine. For something built closer to home perhaps not.

@Nigelr32 coatings can be applied 3 weeks after painting. So yeah it depends generally when it was painted, the 86 takes a while to get here so theoretically would be ok i'd imagine. For something built closer to home perhaps not.

Thanks Rob, I always leave fresh paint for longer before applying any wax or polish. You can seal in the solvents if done too soon.