Sign in to follow this  
Gringosteve

Farewell Vulcan

I got to see her at Fairford a couple of years ago, so glad they managed to get it flying again but sad that like most good things it has to come to an end.

Hopefully they'll get Concorde flying again in 2019 so the RR Olympus roar can be heard again :-)

Isn't it sickening.. There is one Vulcan left, kept alive by charitable donations, yet the US has just given the B52 another 40 Years in service.

I got to see her at Fairford a couple of years ago, so glad they managed to get it flying again but sad that like most good things it has to come to an end.

Hopefully they'll get Concorde flying again in 2019 so the RR Olympus roar can be heard again :-)

I can't see how they're going to manage that. Would have thought they'll have all the challenges the Vulcan lot had, only more so... Plus to get a license to carry paying passengers is much harder.

Final flights are hopefully next weekend (10/11th). It is planned there will be a northern tour and a southern tour.  The final routes are due to be decided on Tuesday.  There is some concern from the authorities that a mass public response to see Vulcan will affect traffic flow round Doncaster airport, and at the moment, this threatens the final tours.  Public safety concerns, they say.  As it is, the public are asked to keep away from the airport and not go to see it take off and land, which will not be allowed if the airport is gridlocked.  That's the drawing power of the "Tin Triangle".

Today features the last public displays over Gaydon and the Shuttleworth Collection.  Take off at 3pm ish.  Displays from around 3.30pm, Gaydon first.  All this subject to conditions on the day.

Vulcan at the Members Day, Coventry Airport, last month.  Very emotional day!!

DSC05394%203_zpsqgbri0ur.jpg

And a wingover from Shoreham in 2012.

Picture261a_zpsda8e501a.jpg

Edited by Subota Boy

I grew up less than a mile from the hangar where this Vulcan was carefully restored at Bruntingthorpe.

I will miss the sounds of them testing those engines and seeing this beast fly over.

As a kid I was lucky enough to have a good nose around in the cock pit and fuselage and was shown how tenuous the restoration project was.

It's really sad now it's at the end of its flying life

fa91aeee2ab061376dfb1a1de7f17e8c.jpg

8f3bfde2abde7b0651de8399924c6816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk