Leejay-b

Hi 86 fans!

Hi all!

Currently researching the GT86. In no way can I afford one yet, maybe in a few years.

The twins GT86 / BRZ are sort of like a halo car to me, a realistic affordable goal if you like.

There is too much negativity around the twins online. I think it's a great looking package, especially with some modifications. Massive potential from the rear drive chassis and front mid engine layout, with low centre of gravity as well. 

Good engine considering current emissions, and tunes well too.

The car has a massive community behind it in Japan and America, not so sure it is as popular here. I think elsewhere it is accepted that it can be standard or modified to ones taste and budget from mild to wild.

Anyway, HI!!!

Hi, Welcome to the forum, you're right that there is negativity about the car, but ultimately that's generally from people who don't understand the car and are too ignorant to even drive one the way it's meant to be driven. What I would say though is that with the current second hand market heading on to £15k for one it's an absolute steal. 

I'm also from Surrey so *high five*

I need to wait until circa £10k. But hi five back.

Test drive one about a year ago, great fun. Also tested a Fiesta ST which was great too IMO (obviously in a different way).

The best quote I have read...

If the GT86 is too slow for you, the road you are on is too straight!

Unfortunately the same person then ruined his great words by adding a turbo lol.

The ST is a great handling car, it's pretty much a go-kart and very capable, but i'd rather have the 86. I can see them hitting 10k in a few years so you should be fine. But either way, circumstances may change, perhaps you'll get one sooner than you think!

Welcome to the club, hope you get one sorted soon! Another reason the 86 gets negative comments it's because of its pub facts, it's numbers just doesn't do it justice, it's all about handling, feel, the fun it offers, not it's bhp and torque figures or its 0-60 times (which for some reason Toyota have been relaxed on, it can get quicker than the 7.6s or whatever they quote). For the money, yes you can get a shopping kart that is quicker but in my opinion, no where near as fun to drive.

I think you've completely understood the car. With me too it was a toss up between the 86 and the ST - in my view the best affordable FWD performance car vs the best affordable RWD one.

No regrets at all and in the end I stretched to a new one, but if I had circa £10k I think I'd buy the Fiesta for now. They depreciate due to sheer numbers - I found a basic ST1 less than a year old with nominal miles on for £12k from a main dealer. That is a bargain...

For me the 86 made more sense new, and the Fiesta more sense used - just down to the residuals. But if you really want an 86 - do the maths - they do hold their money quite well, and good deals are to be had on new ones...

The 86 feels more special, and worth the extra, but I'm not sure it's more fun, just different. The ST is no shopping trolley, it's a proper little terrier of a thing in the footsteps of a Mini Cooper, golf GTi, pug 205gti, etc etc. If I could I'd happily own both :-).

I think the reality is, having RWD and an LSD will always equal more fun if you can realise it's potential, that's where the fun is. A RWD chassis is a purer chassis, though I will concede that FWD can be devastatingly satisfying, as I used to own a DC2 and I have a lot of respect for that car. :)