Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins packaging problems! (Note Apex fixed after some miscommunication)

I bought a set of Ohlins coil overs from Apex Performance Parts last year, and as I bought them on 0% finance I promised myself I wouldn't get them out of the box until they were paid for.

Suffice to say I opened the box at the beginning of August. To my horror they are beat to hell and damaged due to poor packaging. I have sent pics to Apex, Emailed them at least three times and called them at least twice.

I now have a £2500 coil over kit which has never been fitted to a car and is basically damaged scrap.

Assuming you got them from within the EU time to make a legal claim under the standard 2 year warranty regs - http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm - although as it is now more than 6 months since purchase you will need to try and show that the packaging used for sending was at fault by showing it wasn't adequate etc. Your local trading standards should be able to point you in the right direction of how to enforce this.

Thanks for this useful piece of information. I wasn't aware of this.

The real problem I have with Apex is their lack of communication. They have not even confirmed they have recieved my mail and when I call the Manageress is either not in or ill??

Something I should have mentioned initially is that I have been extremely polite, stating to Apex that I believe they are not at fault and it is the responsibility of Ohlins due to their awful packaging.

I feel I have been ignored, and am not happy..

Yes, the EU regs are little known but they helpfully reinforce and supplement the better known UK Sale of Goods Act. As your claim would be against Apex who are UK based then ultimately you could go down the small claims court route as the fees for this are still reasonable (and if you win will be added to the amount owed to you), but trading standards will let you know what you need to do before lodging an application as regards giving the company a chance to respond/negotiate, but I would start with a hard copy letter sent recorded/signed for delivery (and when it gets signed for take a print of the signature for your records) that states you believe you are covered by the standard 2-year EU guarantee (they may not be aware of this which may explain them ignoring you so far) and that if they continue to refuse to talk/negotiate/refund then your next step will be legal action. Some info here:

General principles: http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/factsheets/thompsons-small-claims-court-consumer-problem-factsheet.pdf

Fees: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex050-eng.pdf

Any pictures of the packaging? And damage?

You haven't done yourself a favour by leaving it almost 1 year until you opened the box. Apex / ohlins will not know how or when they were damaged as a result, in their eyes you could have been throwing the box about for the past year. So unfortunately, good luck with that.

Ann from Apex Performance has asked me to advise of the following on her behalf:

Mr Frampton bought these from us in sept 2014 and only complained about the damage last month.

Despite the time frame we offered to try and contact Ohlins to see what could be done and he was asked to send pictures.

This was all sent on to Ohlins to which we are still awaiting a response.

Mr Frampton contacted us via phone and e-mail and it was explained to him via phone and in an e-mail sent on 14.08.15 @ 14.28 that Ohlins were on a six week shut down period so reponse was extremely slow and we would contact him as soon as we got a reponse.

He e-mailed again last night at 23.46 complaining about the service and again I have responded to his e-mail and chased Ohlins again.

I also tried to call him but got no answer.

I have sent his complaint to four different people at Ohlins to try and get a response and will contact him as soon as I hear anything.

We are doing everything we can, this has been explained to him, which he was happy with on the phone when Louise spoke to him.

If he wants to discuss this further, I will be in the office today and tomorrow.

Regards, Ann

So it's only been 3 weeks since shutdown. From where i'm sitting Nigel, Apex are bending over backwards for you and have done all the can. I guess after another 3 weeks when shutdown has surpassed only then can you really start getting irritated. Props to Mike for chasing for him though! I feel like we owe you a pack of cookies for your efforts

So it's only been 3 weeks since shutdown. From where i'm sitting Nigel, Apex are bending over backwards for you and have done all the can. I guess after another 3 weeks when shutdown has surpassed only then can you really start getting irritated. Props to Mike for chasing for him though! I feel like we owe you a pack of cookies for your efforts

I like cookies :)

Thanks for all the replies here guys.

Ann has indeed bent over backwards to help me today and I thank her very much for that. We have exchanged Emails all day and she has now forwarded more information to Ohlins for their investigation.

As I have said before, I will not be surprised if I don't get anywhere with this, I just don't like being ignored, and I felt that's how Apex were treating me.

For whatever reason I did not receive a mail from Ann in August, having said that O2 has been playing up a lot lately and I have had mail problems in and out.

I have always been polite with Apex and dealt with them professionally, and have always said this is not a problem with them but with Ohlins themselves. really the packaging was/is dire. It would seem I have been unfair in my diagnosis of Apex, I just wish I hadn't had to write a snotty mail to really get the ball rolling.

I was made aware the factory was on shutdown, but not for six weeks!!

Has anyone else on here experienced damage due to Ohlins packaging, or was I just unlucky??

It's all ended happily..

Ann has had a reply from Ohlins stating they are aware of their packaging issues and that they will replace my kit free of charge.

Now there's a result!!

Rob, please delete this thread now. I am happy with the outcome and, to be honest, I shouldn't really have written it. The letter I sent to Apex was enough to get this ball rolling...

Please change the title then Rob. Perhaps, "Ohlins packaging problems"???

I'll be able to confirm the new packaging spec in a week or two hopefully??