Kristov4

Door lights Warning

Well I appear to have made a right cock up in my Chavy attempts to pimp my ride.

It would appear in attempting to install my puddle lights I have inadvertently fried part of my ECU!

Should have done my research and then I would have discovered the warnings from across the pond from owners who have suffered a similar fate!

I managed to disconnect the door light and wire in the puddle light on the driver side without issue, so filled with confidence I proceeded to the passenger side.

After disconnecting the door light and wiring in the puddle light... it didn't light! I then noticed the puddle light on the driver side was on despite the door being closed!

It would appear I managed to short the wire sending a surge direct to the ECU. Only solution appears to be a new ECU which is very expensive!

Inorder not to leave the light on overnight on the driver side I removed the fuse for the interior lights but it appears this leads to the alarm going off when I lock the doors!

Fortunately everything else appears to be working fine.

Can anyone tell me what the implications are of replacing the ECU with regards mapping/licence etc?

Apparently simply switching bulbs to LEDs anywhere internally can and has led to the same outcome. So be warned.

Of course disconnecting the battery before attempting any of this would probably have saved me a serious headache (but apparently not necessarily).

Any advice greatfully welcomed just please don't make me feel like a bigger idiot than I already do! 

No Steve I was a numpty and cut the conector from the oem light in order to  use the feed to connect to the puddle light! of course with the door being open the wire were powered at the time  :wacko:

If they are nice and you prove the ECU has been replaced then ECUtek have been known to give a replacement license. However I have only heard of this on warranty replacements. You can obviously just throw the same tune back on after a replacement license has been put on the ECU. I assume you got yours done with Adrian, so just ask him what he can do for you.

While I sit here at 0430 with a case of jet lag pondering this issue I was wondering why this didn't just blow a fuse. I have many times repaired wiring faults on larger vehicles and being too lazy to turn off lights have shorted things out and popped a fuse but never caused a problem with ECU so I am thinking no electrical changes for me but hold on the most common thing is aftermarket rear lights of which I have done so I am curious any issues with these changes?

Thinking about it I couldn't have caused the problem when I cut the connector off as I tested the new unit afterwards and it worked fine.

Apparently their is no circuit protection between this light and the ECU.

Yep still coming Nik.

Apparently Subaru Tech claim " that putting LEDs in the circuit can cause a BIU failure because the current is less than the expected current."  (ft86club).

But surely this means simply blowing a bulb could have the same effect?