A little warning if you're buying Ohlins

Hi all,

I just thought I'd post up a little discovery of mine, which may prove to be a right pain in the a$$??

I bought my new Ohlins last September and as I had them on 6 months 0% didn't even open the box. I finally opened the box today and was shocked at what I found.. the crap packaging by Ohlins has allowed all four coil overs to clatter against each other and cause damage to all four shockers.

They have packed them into a box with six poor fitting bags of expanded foam. They may as well have used four bags of Dorito's!!

I have contacted Apex, and await their reply.

Moral of the story is:- Open your shit as soon as it arrives. I doubt Apex will be able to do anything nearly a year after I bought them, it's not their fault in reality, it's Ohlins 100%

Just paintwork?

Not really Mark, the threads are damaged and the anodised ali is damaged. If it was just paint I wouldn't be too bothered.

You should actually be covered by the EU enforced 2-year standard guarantee period - http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm - although it is a bit harder after 6 months as the onus moves from the retailer to automatically replace faulty goods to the customer proving the goods were faulty when supplied. Hopefully 'goodwill' will prevail here!

I'm actually considering putting these on my No2 car now and getting something a little more racey for my project?

I'm actually considering putting these on my No2 car now and getting something a little more racey for my project?

I was speaking to Penske Nigel. They have some pretty epic stuff available if the budgets there...

How much are we talking Jeff??

I'll ask the question here. What would everyone recommend for a track biased car? I'll be turreting my suspension mounts to raise the mount and move the front back and in so height adjustable uprights aren't so important.

Sounds good. I've found some nice suspension made by a company called Nitron.

Any idea what they're like?

Do you have experience setting up multi way suspention?

When you say track work, do you mean sprinting or full on track racing?

P.s. thats bad for Ohlins. They are usually top notch.

Sounds good. I've found some nice suspension made by a company called Nitron.

Any idea what they're like?

Nitron make very food stuff too Nigel. I'd recommend Centre Gravity for the set up once it's all ready.

Do you have experience setting up multi way suspention?

When you say track work, do you mean sprinting or full on track racing?

P.s. thats bad for Ohlins. They are usually top notch.

In a word.. No.

Sprinting and track fun.

Yeah right.. how pi$$ed off am I!!!

Nitron make very food stuff too Nigel. I'd recommend Centre Gravity for the set up once it's all ready.

Thanks for the tip off Jeff. I looked at the Penske stuff, couldn't find dedicated kits though.

Can someone tell me what is actually wrong with the BC stuff please. Adrian seems quite happy with it??

Also, why do people say Ohlins is not very track biased??

Thanks for the tip off Jeff. I looked at the Penske stuff, couldn't find dedicated kits though.

Can someone tell me what is actually wrong with the BC stuff please. Adrian seems quite happy with it??

Also, why do people say Ohlins is not very track biased??

Penske will literally make you what you want Nigel. Pretty much to any spec you give them. But obviously at a (considerable) price!

I'd be seriously tempted by the Tein SRC's in your position Nigel. Get them fitted and book it in with Chris at Centre Gravity to work his magic.

Mines going there as soon as I can get the cash together!

The ohlins are really excellent dampers. The triple bleed path makes for excellent high speed damping in both compression and rebound.

Generally the spring rates are a compromise on track if you plan to use slicks or semi slicks. Since you dpnt have much experience with setting up multi way suspention (its easy to destroy a cars handling by setting it up poorly) and since you have the ohlins I would say try them as they are on track and sprinting and see what you think. Too much under or over steer can be corrected with rates adjustment of up to 25% on stock valving. You just need a spring with an i.d. of 2.5 inch and 8 inch long to fit the ohlins.

If you feel after all that you want firmer, these damper can be revalved for some more track focused spring rates by aurok

http://aurok.com/www/index.html

If you still want something different, again since you don't have too.much experience with setting up multi way dampers, I'd suggest JRZ1 single way or the raceng/penskes single way that are on the way. You are looking at £3-4k imported for those.

I would always take a one way over a two or three way for a given budget unless I had £7k to burn on the ohlins ttx or bilstien motorsport dampers. They would be wasted on track days though.

One thing to add to what gt86 owner said - you don't need to import the raceeng/penske's - they have a UK base in Lichfield who can supply the GT86 set up's and tailor them to your requirements. I have all the prices on emails but I'm away at the moment so access is a bit tricky.

Adrian sells BC's so he fits them to his cars. It wouldn't make sense if he fitted a really expensive setup but didn't sell it. The same is true of him using Rota wheels. He fits products he sells to his customers to his race car. That makes sense. 

There's nothing wrong with BC's really. But they are cheap and will be built to a price in Taiwan. Some people may prefer to buy stuff that is made in Japan, Germany or England. The build quality of BC's is not an issue, but the materials used in construction may be cheaper as after all something has to give. 

Nothing wrong with BCs. They are lower tech. Basic linear valving and no provision self correction as the oil heats so damping will be inconsistent.

Ohlins at £2.5k vs the Penske £4k how much lap time improvement do we think we might see? I bet its fractions of a second in a 1minute.

P.s. most people here have 5-6kg springs front and rear so the Ohlins are right there. If your car is lighter it will give higher wheel frequencies which is what really matters, not spring rate.

Also thing about spring rates and grip. Lots of grip can be a right handful and many find a bit less all out grip is faster for them. e.g. massive 265 toyo 888s will take forever to get up to temperature whereas a 225 wide toyo 888 will hold more heat and actually have more grip in many circumstances. This problem can be exasperated with rock hard suspension.

There are two types are damper.  Proper race dampers and cheap dampers.  You get what you pay for.  Pedigree shocks are used in high level racing, quite a few of the names mentioned here are not used in such series and for good reason.

Problem you will find with something like a 4-way damper is the range of adjustment is too much and will confuse most people.  Add damper pots, logging, have the ability to adjust geometry and spend masses of time you can learn all this - providing you have the aptitude and patience.  But if you can't/don't want to then just keep it simple.

Damper setup is a subjective thing.  What suits me might not suit you but then again it might be perfect.  Two drivers on identical lap times might have polar opposite setups.  Also a top level driver will need a different setup to a guy doing steady trackday pace as the trackday guy is massively slower and hence not using the same travel nor finding the same forces.

The Bilstein is a good shout, try Michael at Stohl racing he can get you the setup used on the VLN cars.  Quite a few race 86's running the TTX 2-way now.  Very good damper but 6k+vat - 8k+vat for 4-way.  If you can wait a short while (maybe this weekend actually) i'll get my Moton's fitted and you can try those.  They can be had at a good price and i wanted to be different - normally ends up being a battle though!

Some very good points raised by everyone here, thankyou.

I need to read up again about all this wheel frequency vs spring rate vs weight again. The more I read this, the more i am beginning to believe the ohlins is a really good set up for both my cars!! What do I care about most? Quality, lightness, ease of use, low unsprung weight. It seems the Ohlins fits all these nicely.

What about KW? All steel i believe??

So, please explain, if I change the springs I can get the Ohlins revalved to suit yeah?

BTW, the Ohlins are cheaper now..

DFV is a great choice as long as you aren't after making it into a proper full-on race shock later on.  As it can't be made that.  It's a great road and track shock and not loads of confusing adjustment so a very good choice.  But we are talking small amounts between best and not so good.  When 0.2 seconds gives you 8 places up the grid it's important.  Enthusiast not so much

Yeah you can get the Ohlins for £1628 without the top mounts. I spoke to Aurok a little while back and they said Ohlins arnt planning on making as many top mounts and they add £1k to the price of the car.

Can get ohlin ttx from Germany. I believe these were from a TMG CUp car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Racing-Fahrwerk-Toyota-GT-86-2-fach-verstellbar-/121024774904

The motorsport stuff needs fairly regular rebuilds and have a large damping range for a lot of different spring rates to suit the application. Its up the team/driver to determine the damping settings and spring rates.

Yes Nige, Aurok can revalve the Ohlins if you want a different springs. Bare in mine you have about 25% room for different springs on the valving they come with. I know Racecomp engineering in the US have put 8kg springs on the Ohlins and they loved them.

The AST 5100/200/300 are another affordable option (£2k-£4k)

http://www.ast-suspension.co.uk/shop/shockabsorbers/5200?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=186&Itemid=786&select_item=139_185&select_item_139_185=140_186