Sign in to follow this  
Bobbynog

Messing with the DVLA

Hi,

Just been messing about on the DVLA's "How Many left?" site

Apparently there are currently just over 4k GT86's on UK roads - with another 60 on SORN (track cars I guess)

Plus around 500 BRZ's

And according to the same source there are around 3-and-a-half thousand road legal Triumph Stags

Find it hard to believe that I'm just as likely to see a 1970's rust-bucket as I am another 86.

I used to like those, but don't they have some odd engine (aluminum or something that is prone to melting).

I went in a ride in one some twenty years ago. Was the Triumph 3.0 V8 before they switched to the Rover V8. Was the most awful unimpressive car I've been in that I can recall. I thought it might have a redeeming feature. It didn't. 

Gone the day's when there was row upon row of the same type of car on the driveway !!

Back in the good old day's everyone had a Ford Cortina or Capri Company Car ,but now it's a German Car

Only seen 3 other GT86's here in Horsham ! I think the population is something like 2,000 people......

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

I think I've seen 2 maybe 3 GT86/BRZ's in the last twelve months

Funny thing is - three days a week - on my way too and from work I drive past the dealer where I got my ex-demo GT 86 from - I know that their new demo is a white aero but I never see it apart from the one time I had to pop into the dealers - but I don't class that as a spot.

There's a Stag for sale at a small independent car sales place up the road from me - they want 10 grand for it - to be fair it looks quite tidy and my wife fancies it - but I'm trying to persuade her otherwise but have allow her a bit of rope because she let me part-ex her mini for the GT86.

Back in the day I had a Capri - Mk1 2 litre - orange with a black vinyl roof.

Looked cool (or so I thought) but handled like a grand piano - stuffed it into a wall and wrote it off.

Whatever happened to the black vinyl roof?

Am I the only one thats grateful that 86's and BRZ's are not common site on the road. I for one went for the 86 as it's beautiful, great to drive and no a common sight. 

AS for having as much chance of seeing a Stag on the road as a 86, that's going to be highly unlikely. Can't really put a brand new modern car on the same lines as a 30-40yo british built car. 

Any That are not rusting spend 11 1/2 months a year in a garage

And when you consider almost 26k Stag's where built. having only 3.5k left is not many 

Funny thing is - three days a week - on my way too and from work I drive past the dealer where I got my ex-demo GT 86 from - I know that their new demo is a white aero but I never see it apart from the one time I had to pop into the dealers - but I don't class that as a spot.

There's a Stag for sale at a small independent car sales place up the road from me - they want 10 grand for it - to be fair it looks quite tidy and my wife fancies it - but I'm trying to persuade her otherwise but have allow her a bit of rope because she let me part-ex her mini for the GT86.

Looked cool (or so I thought) but handled like a grand piano - stuffed it into a wall and wrote it off.

brother is going to put a Black Vinyl roof back on his Triumph Dolly Sprint he's been  restoring. 

But why would u want one now a days 

Am I the only one thats grateful that 86's and BRZ's are not common site on the road. I for one went for the 86 as it's beautiful, great to drive and no a common sight.

AS for having as much chance of seeing a Stag on the road as a 86, that's going to be highly unlikely. Can't really put a brand new modern car on the same lines as a 30-40yo british built car.

And when you consider almost 26k Stag's where built. having only 3.5k left is not many

If they were common, I wouldn't be interested. Who honestly wants a car that everyone else has?

Has your wife driven a car like that (I.e. old). If not, I'm sure a test drive will put her off. If not, talk about reliability issues, where to get parts, servicing etc and unless you are a real enthusiast, one to skip.

that's part of the reason I chose the BRZ as it's rarer than the GT86

People in my area (Essex) who also own 86/BRZ's don't ever to seem to want to wave back. I've seen probably 5 out on the road in my area, and only 1 white BRZ flashed and waved back! 

Bobby,

You must let your wife drive the Stag. Get stuck in traffic for 20 minutes, then accelerate hard, just once.. one of the head gaskets will blow for sure. The original 3 litre V8 is total rubbish. If it doesn't it's probably got a retro fitted rover V8 which makes the car non original. It probably has rust hidden under a nice body job so if driving it doesn't put her off, you'll have to try harder.

If she hankers an old school British sports car, I'd look at spitfires and TR6's. Easier and cheaper to repair and run.

As for GT86's, I've only seen 3 in Gloucester. Tim's, a beautiful Ginger lowered car with black wheels and a stock red one.

Bobby,

You must let your wife drive the Stag. Get stuck in traffic for 20 minutes, then accelerate hard, just once.. one of the head gaskets will blow for sure. The original 3 litre V8 is total rubbish. If it doesn't it's probably got a retro fitted rover V8 which makes the car non original. It probably has rust hidden under a nice body job so if driving it doesn't put her off, you'll have to try harder.

Too true,

But the situation has just been resolved for me -

She currently works in London and commutes on the train but has just been offered a job a bit more local but it will mean a daily drive instead

so I need to find her something reliable and practical.

As I said I part-ex'd her mini to get my GT86 so I owe her something

And apart from that we've got 2 kids (13 and 16) and we can't get all 4 of us in the 86 without a confrontation between legs and axes.

The wife fancies a Mito - but reality says we'll need something bigger.

And at the moment she's having to drive the 86 when she has no choice - a proper shame coz she's curbed it a couple of times - good job I took out the extra insurance on the alloys.

I take on board all comments about getting an 86/BRZ because they are unusual

But unusual doesn't always mean good

Back to my thing about trying to find my wife a replacement for her mini - according to "how many left" there are just under 1500 Proton Wira's on UK roads a third of the amount of 86?BRZ's

One's up for sale not too far away

proper 4 seater, under 40k miles, FSH, straight body, 1.5L engine through a manual box - even got a spoiler - all for under £700.

Now I'm not saying that all this is a good thing but my antenna for the quirky is twitching.