Bobbynog

Hi all

Had my GT86 for a few weeks now - ex dealer demo, nav + leather, with 7k miles on it - well, 7k when I got it - few more than that now.

Have a few niggles with it - just the usual stuff though - like trying to get my head around the smart key system, the lack of visibility when trying to reverse park, the odd knock and rattle and the annoying way it picks up new stone chips (often in the weirdest places) every time I go out in it.

But I forget all that every time I buckle-up and press the big black GO button.

It's even still a buzz just getting it out of my garage - very narrow garage - not much margin for error.

To give you an idea of how much i love it - always been a petrol-head - first time I've ever bothered with a forum or club

Welcome to the club! The biggest problem I have with my garage is trying to get in/out of the car, glad I'm still fairly young and flexible  :lol:

Congrats and welcome to the club. Glad to see you enjoying the car so much and all the niggles you've mentioned can all be fixed one way or another. Having problems getting your head around the smart key? Just fire questions our way and we'll try and get your head around it for you. Poor visibility while reversing, get a reversing camera. Knocks and rattles may eventually go away or you could hunt them down and see why it's knocking/rattling...either that or just crank the music up and as for stone chips, you can get protective films that self heal to protect your car from stone chips, or just not worry about it for the time being and get it resprayed at a later date.

Welcome aboard, glad you're enjoying the car. :) 

The keyless entry takes a little bit of getting used to, but as Keith said, ask away and we'll help you with that. 

There are fixes for the rattles, or like some of us do, don't worry about it. As for stone chips, they weill happen, particularly so on the front, but again, you can get a touch up paint for it, or get it wrapped if you're worried about it. I've done a lot of miles in my car so it's kind of got character now with all the stone chips!

Hi all and thanks for the welcome,

Biggest issue with my garage (apart fom it's general width) is that it has an automatic roller door that actually narrows the door width a tad so that you have to be dead square to make sure you don't clip it - but - about half way down the garage on the inside is a structural pillar that sticks out about 6 to 8 inches - exactly where the driver's door opens - so to get in and out of the car you have to park at a very slight angle - I've fixed an old rubber car mat to the pillar to try and limit the inevitable knocks but, as my daughter says, you have to be liquid to get in and out of the car.

And because your now on a slight angle - you have to straighten up  as much as possible before reversing out. Ah well.

Rattles and knocks I'm getting my head around and I'm not that bothered really - though I do have one technical issue I am concerned about but wil talk about that in a different thread - I've talked to my dealer and I don't think I've had a satisfactory answer from them.

Paint chips - never had a car like it for them - got one in the centre of the top edge of the boot - just under the rear screen - no idea how that happpened.

As for reversing - I'll get used to it - car for the last five years was an estate - just a question of sorting out where the invisible corners are.

For reversing, why not get parking sensors added for extra peace of mind?

Always believed that parking sensors were for old folks and wimps

but, reluctantly, I am thinking about it - well, it's either sensors or seriously improving my skills

Always believed that parking sensors were for old folks and wimps

but, reluctantly, I am thinking about it - well, it's either sensors or seriously improving my skills

Very useful actually, particularly if you get distracted, the beep gives you a reminder to focus. Having said that, still managed to scrape my Alfa on the railings when the sensor was beeping away.

A lot of people questioned why I needed a reversing camera when I was first querying about them, quotes like "learn to park" etc were thrown around and all didn't understand the idea of actually properly seeing what's behind you when you can't actually see anything lower than an average child. Reversing into a spot isn't the issue, it's knowing how far back you can actually go when there's a nasty little stump that you can't see through your back window. Having a reversing camera is so much more reassuring than sensors or guess work.

post-1617-0-07501200-1438730320_thumb.jp

Meet Daphne - even with a wide angle lens couldn't get back far enough

post-1617-0-05359000-1438730350_thumb.jp

Hope this gives you an idea of the squeeze getting in and out

On the other hand though - my next door neighbour (mirror image garage) keeps a Ferrari in his - but it's a rag-top so I guess he doesn't use the doors

I have a double garage but the Audi's driver door opens into the wall. I put a few hooks into the brickwork and hung a bath towel over the area the door can potentially touch. Problem solved.

Wow Bobby that's even tighter than mine I think haha. Still, I'd rather go through that that leave it outside  :P

Yeah, I'm not a fan of leaving her outside -  I have the option of getting her under-cover - so I do.

And on the upside.............when the rest of the family is in bed I can creep into the garage with a beer and just sit and stare.......

........I think I'd probably look like a proper div if I took an armchair out into the street.