DanJ

Free sound generator on/off mod using 12v cover from glovebox

Yep lowers cabin noise a lot! Or alternatively if you would like to free up room in the engine bay too you can just rip the whole thing out! 

That is what I did and it is surprising how much space all the pipework takes up. 

Before: 

post-1091-0-00095500-1437988844_thumb.jp

After: 

post-1091-0-66328600-1437988860_thumb.jp

I started off with a set of earplugs in mine, but lost them when I had a loaner GT86 for a week (forgot to take them out, wonder if the new owner found them). Moved onto the cig socket cover when I installed my dashcam after seeing the size was similar.

Having a different exhaust fitted the piped sound didn't suit the car anymore.

After this morning I'm 99% certain I'll be removing all the pipework chod as well!

Will drive around for a week or so with it blocked and then remove it again to confirm.

In my opinion it is unnecessary and only makes it difficult to talk to each other in the cabin. 

I have been running catless for months now and so I never heard the noise generator induction sound any way, to me it was just added weight which just made the engine bay look busy. 

But on a stock car, some people may like it? 

Everyone is different after all :) 

I tried to plug it with 100% stock exhaust/intake. Reverted. Decided that i'll miss that extra sound oumph on even slight throttle presses even at low rpms. It's more then possible, that with exhaust upgrades i'll remove it, but with everything stock, car with plugged soundtube subjectively felt more dull/less spicy (&fun) :), even if it comes with price of extra road noise. Still, due ease of "mod" (and reverting it) and all needed "parts" being there at no cost everyone can find whichever state is preferable by everyone's own personal preferences, hence all kudos to whomever found out few years ago first that glove box lighter plug fits soundtube with no need to order anything extra.

If you open your glovebox and look above and behind it there is a 12v power outlet.should have a cover on it. I didnt realise it was there as i never saw it untill i looked properly for it rather than a quick half hearted lean over!

Ah nice one, cheers. I'll have a look tomorrow. I'll probably remove the pipe entirely at some point but I'll give this a go first as I won't need this sound when my exhaust is on.

I'm sometimes thinking that there is something good in soundpipe idea - it provides more engine sound for driver's aural pleasure, yet doesn't make it louder to bother those outside car. Be it cops, angry neighbours or completely unrelated people nearby :). Win-win i'd say.

Main problem most dislike it is simply because it also passes large share of road noise. Hence i sometimes wonder if some sound/noise insulation around soundpipe wouldn't help to make it tripple-win or it will pass road noise anyway from it's collector from other under-bonnet non-noise-insulated parts?

So far related to soundpipe i've seen only one TRD set to make with few replaceable parts it passing more noise. IIRC not too popular aftermarket part/mod. One can also DIY cleanup soundpipe insides from stuffing to do same as TRD. It won't solve passing road noise though. Hence my thoughts if there are other ways to keep soundpipe's good parts and eliminate or lessen it's flaws. Should be cheaper then modding exhaust and won't change noise level outside cabin.

sorry don't like it

its artificial, engines should need no gimmicks to sounds good, plus its extra guff to cart about that serves no real purpose

begone I say!

I've experimented... I like that the fag lighter cover fits. Surely that can't be an accident...

I'm on the fence at the moment. I find the noise in the cabin to be mainly just noise if I'm honest, and psychologically I can't help feeling that there must be an awful racket going on outside - hence I back off a bit. So I may leave it blocked.