Lauren

Euro Tour over the Austrian Alps, Dolomites and Swiss Alps

Last year was all about Japan, but this year, I really fancied a Euro tour over the Alps again. This was in part I admit for some feeling of guilt of seeing a close friend of ours who lives near Sirmione on Lake Garda. Also this is Indy's favourite uncle, so really we are simply taking Indy to see her favourite uncle. But, selfless as we are, we have built in some fun drives over the Alps and also the Dolomites on our way there and of course on the way back! :)

We shall drive from the Chunnel to Strasbourg for our first overnight stop. Strasbourg is in the Alsace region and actually looks to be a really pretty city. As it's a convenient place to stop on route it's really something of a bonus. We have a nice hotel recommended by a friend with secure parking there. Our Chunnel crossing is early, so hopefully just a 400km blast down the Peage avoiding the rather too keen Gendarmerie!

So, following an afternoon and evening in Strasbourg we will be picking up the pace and heading south east into the Alps proper. We will cross Germany (I must admit if the Porsche museum is dog friendly at Stuttgart I would definitely go) and then into Austria. I've never visited Austria before, so I'm quite excited about this and having seen many friends pictures of tours around the Austrian Alps and the Dolomites, I admit it wetted my appetite to put this on our route. We are staying in Innsbruck for our second night, again another stunning looking city surrounded by mountains. We should have covered the Hahnntenjoch Pass by that point too. The following morning we shall hit the Gerlos Pass followed by the Grossglockner Pass. From here we will drop into Italy and stay at Cortina D'Amprezzo. 

Next up is the drive around towards the Dolomites. I've purposefully tried to break the driving up so I at least get some rest and Mark's vertigo is kept in check! Whilst I will have a good go at the Alpine Passes, it's a holiday so I do want some time where I can relax with a cold beer. So we will take in the Karerpass and the route around the Dolomites before heading south and staying in Bassano Del Grappa. Now we could have stayed in Venice or Verona, but it would have meant coming away from what look like some wicked mountain roads, so I've opted for that option! :)

The following day will be a couple of hours into Lake Garda and Uncle Tom's where we will stay near the beautiful Sirmione for the next five days. I expect beer by the litre (yes really!) and lots of very nice pizzas on the piazza and a bit of a break from driving. :)

After leaving Tom's we will be heading up to Grindelwald for a couple of nights. It's near Interlaken and the Eiger and anyone who is familiar with Gran Turismo 2 and 5 will recognise Grindelwald. Mark went there as a scout thirty odd years ago, so we shall see how much it has changed! We will be heading up the Simplon Pass on the way there. 

grindelwald.jpg

It looks beautiful and we are hoping to get a bit of walking in with Indy and just relax and enjoy ourselves. 

The hectic schedule picks up again two nights later and then it is back to Strasbourg again. We will look at seeing if we can pick up the Furka and Grimsel Pass depending upon time. We drove these spectacular Alpine roads two years ago, but I have to balance journey times with practicality so we shall see. 

After a stop over in Strasbourg, same hotel again, we will then take the Peage route to Bruges one of our favourite places to stop over. No expense spared on this hotel and we're staying in the heart of the historic district next to the canal. Whilst it may have the finest chocolate in the world, the real attraction is Cambrinus (King of Beer) bar where we sit and eat peanuts and invariably bump into American tourists, whilst sampling the finest beer in the world. Mark is in heaven here! There is a great story for when we went a couple of years ago and met an American couple who were travelling north through Europe in this very bar. Obviously we got drunk together then as they were heading to Scotland they stayed at ours a couple of weeks later! That to me is the essence of road trips, it's all about the people you meet and the journey is the holiday too. :)

I think I will do a blog on blogspot and will keep posted with pics and action from the trip. Mark will be taking the Go-Pro and we may do a little documentary, we shall see! :)

We're going on Monday July 27th to Strasbourg, then 28th to Innsbruck. The 29th will take us to Cortina D'Amprezzo and then on the 30th we arrive at Bessano Del Grappa, then get to Sirmione on Friday 31st. There till the 6th August before heading to Grindelwald for a couple of days and setting off on the 8th back to Strasbourg and onto Brugge on the 9th and back under the Channel on the 10th August. 

It's less than four weeks away! :)

Anyone else want to join us for some of it, let me know. :)

I'll be passing through 2 days before you...25th for the crossing down to Mulhouse in France nr the Swiss border.

Then I'm off across the fluela & stelvio passes to Bolzano and then on to the Dalmatian coast

1 week of chilling and then the return trip...(My wife & kids are flying ahead of me, so I can enjoy the drive with loud music and freedom to stop when I want  :D)

Return trip will involve stopping off in either Reims or Epernay to stock up on the good stuff...

We'll have to agree to differ on the beer and chocolate...I prefer real ale to belgian beer (and I thought Bruges = Pergatory)

Grindelwald is beautiful and the cog train up to Jungfraujoch is worth a go, especially if you're a Bond fan

BTW if you order the tag for the peage with your chunnel booking number it's free - just pay the tolls ... as I'm going solo, this is going to make my life much easier til I hit Croatia

Jeff, let me know, dinner in Sirmione on the piazza is a must. Just a gorgeous place at night. 

Didn't realise about the Peage. So by 'free' what do you mean? I'll have Mark with me so he can lean out the window at the toll booths. You may want to check out the Susten and Grimsel passes as they are the best. Stelvio is hugely over-rated I think. The staircase bit is tight and tricky if it's busy and quite tiring. It's better on the downhill though. Fluella is good from what I recall, we did that on the way back last time.

Sounds like you've got an interesting trip planned there, kind of going the other way round to us, so you can pick up the Dolomites on the way through past Bolzano.  

If you're going to Reims, make sure to check out the historic track complete with the ruins of the grandstand and pit straight which has restored original sponsors logos on it. Is an odd site but well worth a look and it's only five minutes from the motorway. 

I'm quite keen on our one full day in Grindelwald to get out and about with Indy, so will look into the cog train, cheers for that. :)

For the tag for peage, check out: http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/ saves €10 application fee 

It still costs extra, but when we over at easter, all the tag lanes were clear and the pay lanes had queues...(so I'm hoping the same again as Saturday 25th will be busy!)

For me, it's great as we'll be heading over in the "panzer" with the kids a few times over the next year, and the tag is transferable to other vehicles (so don't leave it in the car!)

Might check that out, though I admit, I've always found the Peage heading south fairly deserted. But I will look into it as it could be handy. Cheers for that. :)

Okay people, Jeff and Chris, let me know what you're doing in Lake Garda and we'll try and meet up. I can recommend pizza and litre glasses of beer in Sirmione. Let me know what days/evenings you are around and we'll make it so. :)

Are you still chunnelling; was considering zeebrugge given the current difficulties?

I'm sure you'll be fine. However desperate, I don't think anyone would try to cling to the underside of a GT86...

Well, after my trek across France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia (and then in reverse), I can officially state, Lauren you're horrible for recommending the Furka Pass - the ascent I did (videos will be uploaded at some point) was the most terrifying drive I've ever completed (including driving in blizzards around mountains!).

The descent was great and the Grimsel pass is well worth doing.

I didn't have time for susten this time, unfortunately, but will consider it for my route planning next year  :)

You're 100% correct about Stelvio it's a bit zzzzz

However, I will add the road east from Bolzano to San Pellegrino Pass is awesome (another vid to be uploaded).

I didn't see a single GT86 or BRZ on the whole trip, but, I did have many nice comments about the car and a lot of double takes!

Last year, I did a different route through Germany, Austria then Italy, Slovenia to Croatia (same destination as I'm visiting the outlaws there!)...I drove the Q7 that time and thought it would be hard to beat as a car for cruising.

However, I think the GT86 is better - it's not great when the road surface is crap - the Q is much better there, but for everything else, it's just so nimble and direct. I am glad I've got sticky tyres and some minor tweaks to the suspension (more camber) as this really helped my confidence on some of the twisty mountain roads.

Gald you enjoyed it. I've done the Grimsel again, but I was in awe going through the Dolomites, so many great passes, one after another. Also the Grossglockner was good apart from being a bit busy. I will do a thorough write up when I get back. :)