DanJ

New member in Fenny Stratford (nr Milton Keynes)

Greetings all,

I actually signed up a few weeks ago but just now getting round to posting, I've been enjoying reading the various topics in the meantime. You seem a friendly and knowledgable bunch :-)

I've had my '14 plate BRZ since August last year, it was an ex-demonstrator with 3,500 miles on the clock and managed to knock them down to £20k, I thought it was a bargain then and after nearly a year of ownership I still do now!

Sadly I was the recipient of a white van scrape from NSF wheel through the wing, door and into the rear quarter panel 2 days before Christmas! Thankfully their insurance company admitted liability as soon they saw the pics from the scene of the incident, I've pursued a diminution in value claim which should hopefully provide a couple of thousand soon to start me on the slippery slope of modifications......

I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer by trade (high-speed flywheel based mechanical hybrid systems - http://www.flybrid.co.uk if your interested - yes they really do spin at 60,000rpm!) and worked on suspension systems at Bentley and Nissan prior to my current job. 

My first foray into RWD motoring was a single seat racing car designed and built as part of my University Formula Student team (200kg spaceframe, 600cc bike engine + Avon hillclimb tyres = awesome), will fish some pics and post at some point at the future, its the 2015 competition at Silverstone next weekend, if any of you are in the area its worth a visit, the standard of the best cars is phenomenal! http://events.imeche.org/formula-student

Looking forward to getting involved and canvassing opinion as I begin my own build :-)

Dan.

An official welcome to the club! You guna let slip what mods you're after or are you guna suprised us? How do you go abouts claiming diminution in value of the car?

Wish I took part in our formula student at Huddersfield Uni but it was only for students doing their masters degree and I decided I couldn't be arsed to do a masters there. Which uni did you go to?

Thanks both :-)

Keethos,

I was at the University of Hertfordshire, graduated in 2006. When were you at Huddersfield? Do you know Dominic Lines?

Longer term I'll definitely be going FI (probably next spring) but before that swapping the hideous standard spoiler for the TRD duckbill (likely to be the only purely cosmetic mod!), manifold + exhaust with remap (decisions decisons, although I'm erring towards Tomei UEL + Nvidia N1 - loving the sound at the end of this vid https://youtu.be/cYT1g3LMFss), will start thinking about which  suspension mods after I've tracked the car as it is.

Thanks Lauren.

Lots to choose from FI wise, my boss used to be Chief Engineer at Cosworth so has a few contacts there which I'm hoping = discount :-)

It'll remain a daily driver so nothing too extreme on the suspension side I expect - the drive to work has a couple of the UK's finest roads!

Awesome stuff Dan, I graduated back in 2008 I think (it's been so long now ) so don't know a Dominic Lines. Looking forward to seeing which mods you get!

The time certainly flies by!

I've been musing on wheels over the weekend, think I've settled on satin titanium BBS CH-Rs, either way I've got a long way to go to catch up with all the mods you've done :-)