86alex

Tein Streetflex - installation and spring rate question

Hi, I've just purchased some tein streetflex. They are second hand, but they look pretty much brand new.

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to fit them around Yorkshire way?

Also, current spring rates are 7/7. I see other folks are changing these. Any negatives to staying with 7/7?

I must confess that I'm a bit of a noob to all this, so any tips appreciated. I don't fancy installing them and then having to change the set up.

Ultimately, I want to upgrade to EDFC in the future, as I intend to keep doing track days, and the adjustability looks spot on.

Alex

People are only changing them as they believe 7/7 might be too stiff for them but you ultimately need to test it out and see yourself if you think they're too stiff or not. I'm running 9/7 on my HSD's and I'd definitely say they're stiff but not unbariable for me coming from a Clio Cup. The only real downside that I'm worried about is if the suspension is too stiff, the car might become a bit skittish when travelling over rough surfaces and you don't want that when cornering hard. I've yet to experience this but I've yet to truly push the car around a track since I've had them fitted. I may consider getting softer springs at some point but that will mean taking them off swapping the springs out which ultimately means losing my current setup so they'd need a full geo alignment and adjustment again so not in a rush to do that, plus I might need them re-valving which probably won't be cheap so will see.

I'm a complete noob with the mechanical side of cars but I managed to swap the rears out by myself but it did take a couple of hours, the fronts I failed on purely because I couldn't undo the drop link bolts which had seized on and because it was getting late, gave up as I didn't have anything to help get them of with like penetrating fluid and wire brush etc.

Your not toooo far from RRG so I'm sure they'd sort you out, plus they've fitted a couple now I think (I know they will do soon anyways) and that includes the EDFC wiring. Not only that but they've got the fancy Hunter Wheel Alignment kit which means they can setup your suspension no probs.

Thanks Keethos. What a detailed reply! I think I probably will drop into RRG. I wasn't sure if they did this sort of install, now I know they do, it seems like a no brainer, as it's not too far away for me.

I will probably try out the spring rate at 7/7, as you say it's all personal preference at the end of the day.

A wheel alignment is a must too!

I'd say it's a bit too stiff. Most run 6/6kg. I run 5/6kg. You can get different springs. If it was me I'd change them before installation as it's a lot easier that way. 

I've driven Keith's car with his 9/7kg rate and though it wasn't incredibly stiff, it felt like it lost some of the ride comfort compared to mine. 

From what I recall different springs are around £120 a pair from Tein so it will add to your cost. 

Thanks Lauren. How does a different spring rate between the front and rear help handling? Presumably it helps car balance on cornering - although probably only on track?

The stock settings have a lower spring rate at the front than the rear. I did it to ensure I could get a good amount of weight transfer under braking as I like to trail brake. I have driven cars with the 6/6kg setup and felt them to have a touch more understeer. It's a 'safe' setup if that's what you want. 

I'd say it's a bit too stiff. Most run 6/6kg. I run 5/6kg. You can get different springs. If it was me I'd change them before installation as it's a lot easier that way. 

I've driven Keith's car with his 9/7kg rate and though it wasn't incredibly stiff, it felt like it lost some of the ride comfort compared to mine. 

From what I recall different springs are around £120 a pair from Tein so it will add to your cost. 

so you have to pay another £240 to get the 5/6 setup you've got and then are left with a spare set of springs? or can you get a set with whatever springs you want?

so you have to pay another £240 to get the 5/6 setup you've got and then are left with a spare set of springs? or can you get a set with whatever springs you want?

Fairly sure if you ordered new then you can request whatever springs you'd like at no extra cost...

Well, you'd need to check prices. I didn't pay extra for spring rates I specc'd at the point of purchase, though as I was the first to do this, it had to be checked with Tein in Yokohama and they air freighted the springs over. 

I know Rob went for the same spring rates and didn't pay extra. Also there was someone else recently that did the same. But obviously if you've bought a set second hand with the higher rates and you want to change them there's not much option but to pay for another set of springs really. 

That's quiet pricey, a pair of springs for the HSD's are only £30/40......would the Teins need re-valving if he drops spring rate?

No, though my dampers were revalved to increase the rear damping by 20%. I had a custom setup though that I worked with Tein on with Adrian's help.