Sign in to follow this  
Tweedbean

Advice on changing front pipe, overpipe and headers

Hi all, I am going to attempt to do this myself using axle stands.

Does anyone have any tips for this job?

So far I have found these guides:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8121

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32101

I've ordered an O2 sensor socket and some penetrating oil to help out. I already have a socket set etc.

I am fitting a scorpion front and over pipe with Borla UEL header, is there anything else I need?

Do I need any replacement nuts and bolts as I am sure I read somewhere that one of the stock pipes has the studs welded on, if so what size do I need?

Fairly straightforward job. Manifold is just 6 bolts although 1 is a bit of a nasty placement and you may need some wobble extensions to help you get to it

Over pipe can be hard to get out between the engine and the subframe. I undid the left engine mount nut very slightly which allowed me to jack the car up by the sump, giving abother inch or so of room to wiggle it out. Make sure you do it back up after obviously!

Front pipe is then just 4 bolts, very simple

The pipes should come with all the bolts you need. Don't forget new gaskets too

You don't need a special tool for the sensors, a 22mm spanner will do the job.

Come on down to my place if you need a hand fitting it. I'm sure we could have it all done in an hour!

Come on down to my place if you need a hand fitting it. I'm sure we could have it all done in an hour!

I may just take you up on that offer so I can have a nose at your car again ;)

I may just take you up on that offer so I can have a nose at your car again ;)

You can take all the plastic interior crap off my hands as well!! Just make sure you put some penetrating oil on all the nuts and bolts before you come, also put some on the sensors.

You can take all the plastic interior crap off my hands as well!! Just make sure you put some penetrating oil on all the nuts and bolts before you come, also put some on the sensors.

Ooooh-errr!

No special tools to remove sensor, maybe. But i recall mentioned hint to first rethread (of course with same thread as sensor's) in new header before bolting in it O2 sensors.

Also there might be some fitment issues with some aftermarket parts or their combinations, hence even if i'd tighten on fully header and maybe overpipe too, i would leave frontpipe and catback not fully tightened, sort all possible fitting (also checking if exhaust parts don't hit/touch somewhere frame or transmission parts having enough clearance where needed) and leak issues, and only then tighten it all down.