STEVO9000

Air con dilemma!

To clear it up for anyone,

The early gt86's used the r1234yf gas which is the new expensive stuff.

Then due to Mercedes refusing to use it there was a whole episode with the courts and that resulting in there being an allowance to use the r134a which was the older gas instead. So some models were then fitted with systems to use the r134a. Unfortunately the gas cannot be changed between systems you have to use what your car has the system for.

Though apparently they are now producing them with the new gas systems again. So some of you may be lucky with the cheaper gas!

Took mine in this morning, sure enough get a phone call to say they were wrong about what they told me and that it was going to be £400 to regas it. After disregarding what I'd told them yesterday about it having the new gas, I was not best impressed. They tell me they've vacuum tested the system for any leaks and just needs gas.

Anyway, I'm currently in discussion with Toyota technical as they're not sure why a car less than 3 year old has lost all of its gas unless there's a leak and aren't sure how the dealer have checked for leaks as according to Toyota technical, the dealer doesn't have the equipment to pressure test it.

I believe you can change the system over. My car used the more expensive gas but when I had a prang and it had to be de-gassed. The garage fitted the system with the older gas I believe so that it was cheaper. 

I will find out some more details if that is true. I remember it being mentioned but can't remember the details from the time. 

Richard at RRG will know more... Might be cheaper to get the air con pump changed on the car to save on the gas!? 

Depends how much the cost on that is really.

Technical rang me back and said they'd contacted the dealer directly to find out exactly what has gone on and after a lengthy discussion they said the dealer would contact me directly and bend over backwards to rectify this. But no word from the dealer yet, rang them myself and they've said they're waiting to hear from technical as to what they need to do next to form a resolution and I should expect to hear early next week.

Apparently the local Vauxhall dealer which is just up the road has the facilities to do it and is part of the same group so we'll see what happens there.

Technical didn't seem very impressed the fact they'd quoted me a price to just refill it when they werent able to check for any leaks in the first place anyway, as well as saying they should've contact technical to find an approved place to take it first.

Seems my dealer getting a response from technical mysteriously takes several days. Yet I made one phone call and had a response within half an hour....

I wish RRG wasn't so far away otherwise I'd have taken the car straight there. I did try to call them today to pick Richards brain as I originally bought the car from them, but he was off today.

Silver lining in this, is the fact that having just got off the phone with Toyota technical again due to dealers being incompetent.
They've told me unless its damage to the air con rad, I won't be paying for the recharge of the system. That they will cover the cost.
From the front the rad core looks good with no stone damage so fingers crossed!

So, after going between my dealer and Toyota Techincal we got the car on diagnostics today and turns out it's a fault with the compressor.

The sealed cap on the bottom is leaking, there was zero gas at all in the system.

Being replaced in Thursday and refilled all under warranty :)

It never ceases to amaze me how many people still don't use their Climate Control/AC and then wonder why it doesn't work when they want to use it :angry:

Mine stay's on all the time apart from if I decide to drive with the Windows open and then I switch it off for a while :) ,but I always turn it back on when the Windows are closed again :)

Mind you don't get me started on why Dealerships turn everything off including the AC while the car is being Serviced :angry:

To be honest, I've probably worded it wrong.

I only knowingly hit th a/c button very rarely, however it probably comes on with the window de mister mode and when I have it in auto mode regularly as well.

But I'm glad it's being sorted, once the service manager got involved he explained it all clearly and we were on the right page. It was just his receptionist who kept giving me all the wrong information and had an arrogant attitude that was what wound me up.

At least I'll have working air con for my trip to France in 2 weeks :)