Gringosteve

Gear Knob

Hi

Weird question, asking other dudes about their knobs..

The badge on the top of the gear stick that shows gear positions seems loose/elevated away from the leather of the knob. I'm assuming it's not normal and needs sorting

Before I take it back to Toyota for a warranty fix, can someone confirm my suspicions?

Thanks

Ste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The knob has been screwed......to tightly, just twist the knob anti clockwise I believe and the badge should lower itself, had this before when the dealer screwed mine in too much that the gear stick started to push the badge up.

Hi all - I have the same issue as above - gear knob slightly loose (slightly moves around during use) - tighten one revolution - which cures it - and the top lifts ...

Worse is that there is a really annoying resonance / vibration / noise from the gear knob - under load / when you rev it out around 6 to the red line it rattles / buzzes.

In neutral you can replicate it - starts around 3.5 - 4k - tried pulling / pushing leaning it etc - all of which do alter the noise / but doesn't cure it.

I unscrewed the gear knob completely and the noise is still there. So the gear selector shaft from the gaitor is loose? Or loose vibrating sufficiently to make the noise ... something isn't right somewhere.

Anyone had this and is there a common fix?

Really spoils the driving experience - as the rest is spot on.

(I did try the search function but had no joy).

What year is the car? If its a 2012 / 2013 you've probably got the older gear leaver mechanism. 

Mine resonated and rattled up the gear under high RPM. But my RRG found out they had a superseded part. My dealer fitted it FOC under warrenty and never had any buzz or rattel since.

So sounds like you got the new one fitted which is probably a different part.. Anyone else that suffers with it just go and get it fixed under warrenty. 

Hi - thanks for the replies - definitely not a "normal" buzz / rattle / vibration (or if it is the build quality is dire). If it continues I'll get a video clip.

It is a 2012 car so maybe it does suffer from a older mechanism that had some issues? I'll ask RRG for some advice as suggested.

The gear knob itself also appears to be a fun design - where as you screw it down tight it pushes the plastic lugs together that retain the top / which forces the top off... new knob under warranty sounds like a winner.

Thanks again

I get a buzz from the gearbox if I've been driving the car hard. I must admit, it's become almost a sign that I'm simply working it hard and I suppose for me, it has become part of the experience. 

Must admit, I changed my gear knob to a carbon one with a solid top as I didn't like the feel of the stitching on the standard one. 

Speaking about gear knobs. I've searched long and hard but couldn't find any. - Maybe someone can help finding asymmetric/anatomic gear shift knob that fits these cars? I mean something of this style, fit for M12x1.25 thread, AND that can work with reverse lockout? (there are many 'universal' thread-wise, but almost each and every with reverse lockout are of round or cylindrical shape. Asymmetric ones? None :(.)