keelerad

Force Feedback steering wheels for Project Cars

OK thinking of getting a PS4 for Project Cars because of the tracks it covers, their website says the following wheels are supported http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html

Anyone got any experience of Project Cars on PS4 using any of these wheels or of the quality of these wheels themselves?

The Thrustmaster T80 is a rubber band toy with no Force Feedback so that's out

The T100 is supposedly FF but less than £100, sounds to good to be true

The Fanatec ones are nice and look like they might also work on XBox 360 for Forza 4 or PS3 for GT6 (my current gaming setups)

Any comments from other gamers? And no I am not going near the moneypit of buying a gaming PC it has to be a console

Thrustmaster T300RS

Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE

Thrustmaster T100 Force Feedback

Thrustmaster T80

Thrustmaster TH8RS

Thrustmaster TH8A

Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals

Thrustmaster T500RS

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 v2

Fanatec CSR (+ Pedals)

Fanatec CSR Elite (+ Pedals)

Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base

Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base v2

save your money, project cars is buggy as hell right now, I've got it on pc and one race the steering wheel is under sensitive so I have to make a full rotation just to do a simple corner and then the next race (without me touching anything) its become super sensitive that just 90 deg will do a hairpin turn

Get Dirt Rally on Steam or Assetto Corsa, much better games which are far more realistic, and a Logitech G25 or G27 as they are cheap as chips now in terms of steering wheels and are awesome quality. My G25 is now 3 years old and is still working fine, plus the FFB in them or the G27 is very good.

I've played Project cars since 2012 as I paid to have early access from WMD when it was in alpha and beta development phases on the PC. You'd get a new build of the game each week with updates up until the release date which was obviously a few weeks ago now. Comparing it to Assetto Corsa, If you prefer realism over content go for AC, but that is still being developed and updated.

I downloaded Dirt Rally the other day and I can truly say that it is awesome. It's a real hardcore simulator unlike the others in the Dirt series and is still getting developed. Group B cars, Group A, stuff from the 60's and 70's all with a realistic physics engine

PCs aren't the money pits they were. Granted I feel mine could do with an upgrade now but it really doesn't NEED it and this current motherboard/CPU/GPU combo is 3 years old next month. I agree with James on Assetto Corsa, fantastic game but not on console... Just checked and it is coming out on consoles next year so it looks like consoles will finally be getting a "proper sim".

I've had the T500RS with the TH8RS and I must say it's a ridiculous bit of kit, made the G27 seem like a little toy!! Last I checked though, support on Playstation wasn't the best and it's awfully pricey so I'm not sure it's the best option in your case.

Unfortunately consoles are rather limited when it comes to good steering wheels from what I've seen, the Fanatec offerings are probably your best bet. I've no personal experience, but I've heard very good things about them and their Club Sport pedals are regarded as the best you can buy without spending silly money on 'not for your average consumer' stuff. A lot of people buy the Club Sport pedals to go with various other wheel, T500RS included.

The T300RS could be an option though, if you're not bothered about the gated shifter. Check compatibility though as the T500RS was a 'Playstation' wheel but support wasn't the best, it was more a Gran Turismo wheel in the end.

Although if you'd only be buying it for Project Cars, you may not care what else is supported...

I'd go for the T300RS, if you're going to go for a Fanatec go for the Clubsport but I have heard of the feedback being a bit too strong on these but that said the other fanatecs are not worth considering really.

Although you don't want to bother with a PC, they aren't the money pits you think. Consider one and you have a world of other sims such as Assetto Corsa which is arguably the best one out at the moment.

http://www.rseat.net/ :D

It's worth noting you can use the Fanatec shifter with the T300RS

I really want a wheel soon when money permits, my desk has plenty of room ;)

post-2-0-15351800-1433608591_thumb.jpg

save your money, project cars is buggy as hell right now, I've got it on pc and one race the steering wheel is under sensitive so I have to make a full rotation just to do a simple corner and then the next race (without me touching anything) its become super sensitive that just 90 deg will do a hairpin turn

pCars on PC with my 10+ year old MS Sidewinder Pro is fine, no issues with sensitivity and the force feedback is great

Love the addons for it - especially Tom Shane's profiler - not sure what addons will work with PS4 version though

(my PC is 4 years old and still runs pCars at 1080p no problem)

I know this is not beneficial to the discussion in the thread... (Please feel free to delete)

Why not save the money you would spend on a ps4, game, wheel so it can go towards driving the tracks in real life...

I know this is not beneficial to the discussion in the thread... (Please feel free to delete)

Why not save the money you would spend on a ps4, game, wheel so it can go towards driving the tracks in real life...

It's a valid point, but sims can really help with learning the tracks

The T500RS like Ztox said is a serious piece of kit in terms of money, size and sheer power of the thing. I've done a fair bit of testing with it back in the day and always thought the force feedback was redonkulous, I'm sure it could snap a child's arm whenever it would initialise itself when you booted your PS3 up with it connected, sadly no gear stick but the paddles were nice and solid. I also liked how you could flip the pedals upside down to have them hang down like real pedals, though they all lacked any feedback and we're relativley easy to press. The new T300RS came after my time at Codies so never tried it but heard good things about it and I like how you can swap actual steering wheels for Ferrari or other make wheels.

To my understanding, if you are going PS4 route, these are the only 2 options. To my understanding, none of the Fanatec wheels work with any of the current gen consoles so not sure why they've listed them on their website, though things may have changed over the past couple of months since I last looked. It's a real big shame as I really rated the Fanatec wheels and was on the verge of buying a set myself. I've tested the original 911 wheel, the GT3 and the GT2 wheels along with the club pedals and they were all very good wheels. The club sport pedals were the best around as they had feedback on the pedals, the brake would load up and stiffen and could even vibrate to simulate the ABS kicking in. The original 911 pedals were rather cheap and plasticy however they made the clutch pedal feel very realistic i.e. stiff initial press but then gives way the further you press, sadly thid was never carried over to the club pedals. The downside to the Fanatec stuff were the original gear sticks which were really plasticy,naff, prone to snapping and were also wobbly as hell when attached to the wheel, they should only really be attached to a proper jig, though they now have the club sport gear sticks which should be a lot better but again not tried it.

I did own a Logitech G25 (but sold it to buy a Fanatec GT2 but never got round to buying one) which like James said, is a very good wheel and so is the G27. The gear stick is nice and solid but lacks any feedback and is way too easy to slot into gear. The wheels have good force feedback but the wheels themselves are a bit on the skinny side. As for the pedals, they were pretty solid and had a bit more feel compared to the Thrustmaster ones but still nothing compared to the club sport pedals. Sadly these only work on the PC, don't believe they work on the PS4 but did on the PS3. They never officially worked on the Xbox 360 but someone eventually developed an adaptor so it could communicate with the Xbox, who knows, something similar might happen with the current gen consoles but it'll be a long while yet.

As for switching and swapping pedals with different wheels and stuff, never really tried it myself but you may want to read up on that if you plan on doing so as I was always under the impression that it was possible but only on PC as you were plugging the steering wheel and pedals separately into the PC.

pCars on PC with my 10+ year old MS Sidewinder Pro is fine, no issues with sensitivity and the force feedback is great

Love the addons for it - especially Tom Shane's profiler - not sure what addons will work with PS4 version though

(my PC is 4 years old and still runs pCars at 1080p no problem)

I've got a logitech driving force gt and that has been nothing but problems on pcars, works great on everything else, I may reinstall pcars to see if that makes any difference whatsoever