Deacon

Ace muffler manifold group buy

Hello,

I was really impressed with what I've seen over on the US forum about the Ace manifolds (headers) so I contacted them about purchasing one and also enquired about a group buy.

Some details for anyone who hasn't seen their products:-

They currently offer two manifolds; a 4-1 design which retails at $895 and a 4-2-1 design which retails at $1600 (although this seems quite expensive note it does include the overpipe as part of the manifold design). They charge $95 shipped worldwide.

At present the 4-1 design is available for both LHD and RHD. The 4-2-1 is currently available in LHD with the RHD version around 6 - 8 weeks away.

Some threads on the US forum showing the kind of gains expected:-

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88696

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80609

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50211

I asked Matt at Ace about the fitment to the stock systen and expected power and here's what he said:-

"Everything bolts up perfectly to the stock system. (With tune and drop-in filter, your dyno numbers will be around 210N/m Torque and 195-200WHP)"

I also asked him for a brief overview of the difference between going 4-1 and 4-2-1:-

"Short version is this:

4-1= lower torque but higher HP at high RPM's. Useful for racecars that stay above 4500

4-2-1= better torque output and power, but peak HP #'s are higher on 4-1. Designed for sporty drivers with occasional trackdays"

They said that they can do a 10% discount if me and five others wanted to buy one so would anyone else be interested?

Prices work out as:-

$895 - 10% = $805.50 + $95 shipping. Total $900.50 (I imagine they'd waive the 50c!) for the 4-1

$1400 - 10% = $1260 + $95 shipping. Total $1355 for the 4-2-1

Googling current exchange rates it works out as £586.70 for the 4-1 and £883.31 for the 4-2-1. However, bear in mind the possibility of getting caught for VAT and import duty.

Edit - Ace have now set prices in GBP which are as follows:-

£1040 for the 4-2-1 plus $95 shipping. With the discount this would be £936 plus the $95 shipping (they have put the price of the 4-2-1 up a little unfortunately for all markets)

£581.75 for the 4-1 plus $95 shipping. With the discount this would be £523.58 plus the $95 shipping

Here are some of the other questions I asked which should hopefully cover most questions people may have:

1. Is it the 10% off the list price plus the delivery or 10% off the combined list and delivery price?

10% is off the listed price

2. How and when will people need to pay you - by Paypal? After there are 5 people?

Paypal works fine, we can set it up so each person pays individually

3. How long after payment should people expect delivery?

Max 4 weeks from date of payment (Remember that the RHD 4-2-1 version is about 6-8 weeks from completion though)

4. Will shipping be to each individual in the group buy?

Shipping will be to each individual person ($95USD flat rate each set)

5. Can you offer options for people who are turbo'd or supercharged?

At the moment we do not have any forced induction exhaust systems

6. Does the group buy include both the 4-1 and 4-2-1 or does it need to be all of one type?

Yes, they can mix and match

7. Can I confirm that the 4-2-1 system includes all that's needed to mate up to the rest of the stock exhaust but that the 4-1 would need an over pipe too?

Correct, the 4-2-1 does not need the overpipe. 4-1 DOES need the overpipe. All headers come with a complete gasket set.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll pass them on to Matt at Ace.

Cheers,

Deacon

Was looking into this manifold a few weeks back as they are getting good feedback in the US forum. Have emailed them a few times in regards to the 4-1 race manifold requesting some dyno graphs and they are very good. Getting the same numbers on 95 RON fuel as other manifolds are getting on our equivalent of 98 RON fuel. Plus they are all hand made. 

When you are you looking at doing the group buy Jeff? 

I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with the blasted car as I want to stay UEL!  :lol:

The group buy needs to have five participants (including me not plus me - I misread Matt's email) so the group buy will stay open until then James.

The numbers on them do look very good - I'm still not sure which I'm going for yet but I think probably the 4-2-1 for my usage.

Hmmm given that the 4-1 is a lot cheaper than the 4-2-1 I might have to hold off and wait for the appropriate funds then, as my car has cost me far too much money recently already and the missus will moan at me if I spend even more this month  :lol:

I look forward to seeing some in the UK though, they are only just starting to get vendors in the US. 

Nope I'm sticking UEL at the moment, I'll upgrade when I do the engine internals/cams and buy the ACE manifold in 1 hit, got plenty of other bits to install first yet haha!

I spoke to ACE recently as they have a new, cheaper, version of their manifold which is robot rather than hand welded.

This was the info I got:-

We've come out with the 4-2-1 type B which is listed here:

http://aceheader.com/index.php/gt86-fr-s-br-z/type-b-gt86-fr-s-br-z-4-2-1-150-merged-header-lhd-and-rhd-detail

This type B can come with a 150 or 250 collector. I would recommend the 250 which is better for corner exit and torque.

The Type B's we can do a group by at 1090USD to your door. (I make this £703 using Google for the exchange rate + vat and any customs obviously)

These type B's are using robotic welds on the merges and aren't as pretty as the type A's, but deliver the same performance.

Another option that may be worth considering for people.

I'm in for a 4-2-1 Type A, I'm assuming they offer the collector options on this as well, in which case it's a 250 please and thank-you  :D

I'm in for a 4-2-1 Type A, I'm assuming they offer the collector options on this as well, in which case it's a 250 please and thank-you :D

I believe so - I will double check when I get chance though.

I believe so - I will double check when I get chance though.

Great, thanks.

Just need to get the thumb screws out on two more power hungry NA peeps now!

Great, thanks.

Just need to get the thumb screws out on two more power hungry NA peeps now!

I've emailed Mat at Ace so I'll update as soon as I have a reply. I'm almost certain the answer is yes though.

Crikey! I'd read that going through the FT86 forum last night as well. Looks like its Type B - 250 collector for me then! Will put the difference in price towards ceramic coating costs, I'm going to try and negotiate a discount for that from a company a colleague has used previously, will share details when/if I get a reply.

I've seen that Abbey motorsport have got a Type A to try soon, hopefully the results from that stir up sufficient interest to get us over the line for others in the group buy.