Nicebiscuit

Does standard head unit have line level outputs?

I generally prefer not to swap factory head units, but sometimes like to give the system a bit of a boost. Plus I have a reasonable powered sub knocking about that I could stick in the boot.

So my question is there a way of getting a line level signal out of the stock head unit to route to an amp, or would I have to use the speaker outputs? (not the end of the world, but not usually as good...)

Good. Thanks - thought it might be possible as I'd assumed the optional JBL system ran a separate amp...

BMW was like that - the factory upgraded audio option used a little four channel amp in the boot, so it was fairly easy to replicate using aftermarket kit.

Good. Thanks - thought it might be possible as I'd assumed the optional JBL system ran a separate amp...

BMW was like that - the factory upgraded audio option used a little four channel amp in the boot, so it was fairly easy to replicate using aftermarket kit.

Well my OEM+ Install has an external amp also. 

See here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2260-oem-audio-install-active-suspension/

It came with the loom already made up so I can't really say which are the right wires. Though perhaps sending them and email may help you? 

http://www.oemaudioplus.com/

It doesn't have Line Level, You would have to run from the speaker level to a Hi Level to Line Level converter. 

I've looked every where for line level and the JBL kit also uses speaker level to Line level so pretty sure this is the only way.

Unfortunately the stock head unit is very poor in this aspect. A better option is don't spec Sat nav and just pull the stock head unit out and replace it with a better aftermarket one. 

Hmmm. Had hoped to leave the head unit alone. Oh well. Is there room for double din, or is it the usual single din in a trim panel that doesn't quite look right?

It's double din height, But Toyota Width. Very few after market head units will fill the gap width, They'll be shorter. So you need an adpater. There are a few that do the full width Toyota size. A double din will fit with the correct adpater plate. 

is the standard head unit that bad? I like the functionality of the unit but would agree that the sound qulaity coudl be improved

my usual 1st point of call would be to replace the door speakers  and rebuild the door cards to stiffen them up and prevent high frequency vibration

IIRC one should be able to easily find adapters for standard double din units to mount in here. As for stock headunit, it indeed sounds awful .. but i'm not yet sure, is it because it itself generates crappy sound, or because it lacks amplified output, hence at normal volume heavily distorts sound. As even on stock oem shitty stereo speakers on my old '99 corolla i could playback much better sound with old alpine mp3 player (which had integrated 2x45W amp though) i think that adding amp to these T&G headunits as minimum upgrade may help aswell. One of things i plan to try out, but at some galaxy far far away, past long long time, as for now performance upgrades seem to me of higher priority then improving stock sound.

I'll see how I go. Thanks for the tips. Sound's such a subjective thing. I've ripped out standard systems cause they irritated me, yet kept a bog standard Ford one for years because I liked the way it sounded. Have also had alleged 'premium' systems I inherited which were awful.

One thing's for sure, nothing but nothing can be as bad as the standard system you used to get in BMWs circa 2010. That was embarrassingly poor for a nearly thirty grand car. Thrown into sharp relief by the eleven grand Hyundai hire car I was driving whilst waiting for delivery... ;-)