Nicebiscuit

Hello. Not got one... Yet.

Hello. Planning to do a bit of lurking, and hopefully in due course get me a GT86. Basically I want something fun, yet relatively sensible and have to at least pay lip service to having rear seats. There isn't really anything else is there? :-D

Look forward to picking up some useful tips. Cheers all.

Welcome to the club :)

I'm sure you will find a wealth of info here, if there is anything you want to know in particular fire away. But I think you can get a lot of fun out of these cars, some people find them sluggish, I don't think this is the case, I think it's more their driving style that is to blame.

Thanks :-). Fifteen years ago I bought a brand new Ford Puma. I loved that car - perfect balance of power and grip. Only 125bhp but you could use every single one.

Since then, amongst various family wagons I ran a BMW 1 series coupe. Lovely car, but so much grip it couldn't really be exploited on the road.

Currently I have a car that was supposed to be a stop gap - a slightly breathed on, but very elderly Saab 9-5 Aero. It's a complete hoot - very quick, doesn't corner at all. Sort of like a front wheel drive Corvette! :-D

So I quite fancy going back to something that needs to be thrashed, and can be... :-)

Welcome to the club and hope you have a good look around. The car is a hoot to drive too, the best word to describe the car is balanced, the handling is superbly well balanced, it's quicker than most cars on the road but not as fast in a straight line compared some of the hot hatches out there and at the same time it's not overly expensive to run, pretty decent mpg (obviously not the point of the car but every little helps), tax and insurance is also pretty average. Even the practicality is also balanced, not as much space as modern hatches but more practical than most other sports cars. Get yourself a test drive, most have loved their test drives but I've got to be honest, my test drive was pretty average but the car has rapidly grown on me and absolutely love the car. The car is great as stock but at the same time, there's so much you could do to modify the car to suit your needs and style too.

Oh - one other thing... I live in Macclesfield - was down at RRG earlier picking up a brochure - was told there was a chap who works there who is VERY keen on these. Have I just found out where he hangs out?

LOL, yes it is but I'll let Rich introduce himself, but know that you'll be in good hands with RRG Macclesfield, I travel 2 hours from the Midlands just to get my car serviced by them.

I had no idea... Will make a change as with the Saabs I have to go up to a chap in Glossop as I don't trust anyone else. A decent dealer makes all the difference.

Oddly enough I might have fetched up at RRG anyway - it was the not exactly alluring prospect of four years in a company Auris hybrid that prompted me to opt out, which started the whole thing...

Got a test drive booked for Friday at RRG, so I shall find out what all the fuss is about. :-) Test drove a Fiesta ST yesterday which is the only other contender - it's (arguably) best affordable FWD hot hatch vs. best affordable RWD sports car. Will be interesting.

Oh - one other thing... I live in Macclesfield - was down at RRG earlier picking up a brochure - was told there was a chap who works there who is VERY keen on these. Have I just found out where he hangs out?

I'm in Macc as well, I got the first 86 from RRG, will be going to the club trackday at Blyton on the 30th if you want to come along, but will probably be setting off that morning at 5am to get there

Alec

I'm in Macc as well, I got the first 86 from RRG, will be going to the club trackday at Blyton on the 30th if you want to come along, but will probably be setting off that morning at 5am to get there

Alec

How kind of you. Thanks for the offer, but I'll be on my way back from France on the 30th. Probably around Le Mans at that point as it happens, but La Sarthe isn't THAT thrilling in a 90bhp Citroen van, as I discovered last year...

Bit of a comedown - just had a slightly inept blast over the cat and fiddle with Richard (due to it being me driving) and now stuck in dull conference call.

General conclusion is that I completely get why you all love these. It's a fantastic thing. I'm now going away to consider, have a meaningful discussion with my wife, and empty every piggy bank in the house.

Thanks to Richard, who as the consummate professional managed not to grit his teeth or grab the door handle even once, and also nice to meet Keethos whose car looks even better in real life than it does in the photos.

More measured thoughts... Obviously all the stuff I'd expect to be good is good, but the unexpected bits...

- Ride is firm, but more than acceptable - even on the 18' wheels on Richards car

- Seats and driving position are simply perfect. I'd do the South of France in this like a shot.

- Aftermarket exhaust sounds very nice indeed.

- whilst not torquey (I didn't expect that) it's tractable and can do a perfectly credible Yaris impression just pottering around at town speeds.

- seeing the wing tops in the view forward is great. Somebody in the design team has driven an E type.

From what Richard told me about you, it might be for the best, for my self esteem at any rate. Apparently you are like Carlos Sainz behind the wheel of a Toyota ;-)

I wouldn't have seen which way you went :-D