Tweedbean

Jacking up a GT86

Hi all looking for some advice as I am working on the GT86 for the first time next weekend where I will need to get the car  up on axel stands. Seen some points made around the seam weld jacking points and wondered if these would work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyurethane-Jack-Pad-Seam-Pinch-Weld-Protector-Suitable-For-Trolley-Jacks-/261857901009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf7f279d1

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-pad-rubber-block-hydraulic-ramp-jacking-pads-trolley-jack-adapter-/271858318625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c04bd21

Haven't tried those 2 exactly but I do have something similar but as a square block which allows the car to sit on the axel stands with less movement/sliding around.  I went for the square ones because my axel stands are a flat Y or C shape (depending on how you look at it e.g. \__/  shaped) which means the seams slip/slide around a little where as the rubber jack pads seem to stop this from happening.

Ramps and then jacking on front subframe or rear diff. Nice and quick and gets the whole front/rear axel up quickly. It's also what is recommended in the manual.

Ages ago I bought some caravan ramps, much cheaper than any car ones and work well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Caravan-Motorhome-Camping-Levelling-Blocks-Ramps-TS570-/181604474781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a48785f9d

If you look at the flange along the bottom of the sill you will see there are two small cut outs at each end. The car should be supported on the slightly raised (Lowered)?pads just inboard of the cut outs.

Be careful not to put any weight whatsoever on the outer sill as it is paper thin and will bend easily.

If you look back at my prtoject thread you'll see what I made up. Something similar could be made up with a hacksaw if you dont have access to machines? http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2075-niges-gt86/

When I did some work on mine, I could get a trolley jack to sit underneath, and just past the metal skid tray underneath the engine, there is a spot on the subframe to jack the entire front of the car up. 

When I did some work on mine, I could get a trolley jack to sit underneath, and just past the metal skid tray underneath the engine, there is a spot on the subframe to jack the entire front of the car up. 

I had to part jack mine up with a scissor jack on one side first as the car is too low :(

My first attempt with a traditional trolley jack was unsuccessful because of that.

Luckily I also had a low profile trolley jack (one of the really low ones) and because my car is only lowered 25mm it just managed to sit underneath the front splitter! 

LMAO Rob, you're clearly a southerner going through all that effort with a scissor jack and lifting one side at a time to get the jack under! Us northerners do it the pikey way...  Couple of scraps of wood knocking about from say  an old shelf or maybe a piece of skirting board... drive the front wheels onto it and voila, clearance to slide the trolley jack under the front as normal and jack both sides at the same time, quick and easy, no need for a scissor jack and keep the sill areas clear so you can sneak your axle stands under once it's in the air :P

Yep, that's what I do, 2 lumps of wood to drive onto then my trolley jack will fit under, proper option for this is as Steve suggested, ramps, caravan levelling ramps are cheaper as he said

Alec

LMAO Rob, you're clearly a southerner going through all that effort with a scissor jack and lifting one side at a time to get the jack under! Us northerners do it the pikey way...  Couple of scraps of wood knocking about from say  an old shelf or maybe a piece of skirting board... drive the front wheels onto it and voila, clearance to slide the trolley jack under the front as normal and jack both sides at the same time, quick and easy, no need for a scissor jack and keep the sill areas clear so you can sneak your axle stands under once it's in the air :P

No need to be racist! I didn't have any bits of wood lying around, I only had bricks and they wouldn't fit under my splitter lol