Marshmallow

Brecon Beacons - Sunday 31st May

The weather is looking AWFUL for Sunday :(. As we have people travelling from further away already booked into hotels this event is for sure going to be ON. Just wanted to bump this thread and make sure you all know the event is going ahead, rain or no rain! 

I've planned the route, slightly differently from last time, along with tea/lunch/stopping points and will provide everyone with the info and a map in the morning in the likely event that we get split up. There should be more cars attending than last time and it may be difficult for us to stick together.

We will be at Aust / Severn View services from 8am, and leaving by 8.30am. We will pull over to meet the hotel crew in one of the laybys on the A466 Wye Valley link road. Rob, Chris, Faith etc, I suggest you be there from 8.30am and we'll look out for you as we're driving through. We will pull in so I can give you maps etc, I'm not expecting you to just join on at the back or anything!

We're still totally up for this, we just all might have to take it a bit easy on the roads as it's going to be WET!

Not much can slow you down unfortunately Ian!

Hey Omer86...

Its difficult to estimate times exactly as it depends how quickly we get on/traffic and how long we make stops for. I have planned two tea stops in the morning (10 and 11.30ish maybe) plus a potential two other quick ones for photos and admiring the scenery. If all goes to plan we'll be having lunch at 1ish around Pen-y-cae if you want to check that location on a map. I was going to leave it to the group to discuss at lunch what way they want to drive back to the bridge from there and whether people want to stop for another coffee or not. From lunch destination back to the bridge is an hour and a half drive. So without a stop you would be leaving Wales maybe 3.30pm. If we stop to say goodbyes 4.30 potentially. Not that you have to stay all day, it would be easy enough to head back earlier should you want to.

I'm guna try and make it to the service station first thing in the morning rather than meeting up at the hotel the night before.

Now apologies for going off slightly on a tangent to this but Sarah (suggestable) who used to have a red GT86 has invited me and whoever else wants to join, to a lil car meet called "Nothing Fancy" at the Strensham Services SOUTHBOUND from Worcester along the M5 at around 6pm.  I plan on popping in on the way home so if anyone else is interested, feel free to tag along.

Apologies guys, I woke up feeling dreadful this morning. Still trying to shift the remains of a head cold.

Hope you all had a good one. Will keep an eye out for the next :)

Well guys thanks for making the effort to join the SW crew today. Despite wet weather this morning had another great day. A special thanks to Lindsey for all her hard work in organising and planning this event. Without you this would not have run so smoothly. Oh and a very special thanks for also supplying the lovely cakes. Your a real ✨

Was also great to meet some other owners. Hope all got home safely and look forward to seeing you again soon.post-431-0-88050400-1433095415_thumb.jpgpost-431-0-65056800-1433095452_thumb.jpgpost-431-0-09217200-1433095539_thumb.jpg

Thanks for organising this, the directions were fun to read but as we all stuck together for the entire route they weren't even needed. I'll deffo be making the next one :)

In other news I somehow made it home from wales on 1/4 tank of fuel!

Yes, a massive thank you to Lindsey for the routing and Tom for leading the way.  What an awesome day with some pretty awesome runs.  We managed to cover some good ground without any disruptions but ultimately we still managed to get stuck behind some cars which ruined some of the fun.  But we found some nice spots to pull over but due to the miserable weather, we had to push on, only for the sun to come out, then rain a lil bit, then sun out again, then rain a lil bit more etc, it really couldn't settle properly but it didn't really feel like it slowed us down too much, I still had plenty of grip and hardly any back end action.

As for the meet afterwards, bit of a wash out, we got there just before half 6 but Sarah didn't turn up until about just gone 8, at which point me and Faith had just left by then and there wasn't that many cars there, though we did recognise some of the MX5's that were there at Japfest this year.  But it was still worth it because as soon as we left Mike to join the M5, me and Faith took the back route to the service station which turned out to be an awesome run.  It was nice to be just the 2 of us as we over took a couple of cars with ease, couple of tight twist fast roads and a couple of hair pins....was thoroughly enjoyable....until my sat nav left us in the middle of no where a couple of miles north of where we needed to be.....and we ended up doing a massive loop to get back onto the M5 only to come back off again at the service station......when in fact we could have headed back south down the back roads into the service station through the back entrance.....ah well.

Will look forward to the next run and the awesome Castle with a moat, a draw bridge that we need to drive through to all park in the courtyard in a semi circle which also has a tower and dungeons for all of us to stay in!  Get on it Lindsey  :D

Oh and I ended up using a Tank and a half today  :blink:

What a fantastic day! Such a shame about the weather in the morning making it a bit slippy and ruining some of the fun. And as already mentioned, there were other drivers about which held us up on some of the roads unfortunately as overtaking with so many cars wasn't really an option. But still, plenty of fun had by all, and I'm so glad you all came along and enjoyed yourselves. 

post-533-0-59604700-1433243313_thumb.png

Above is the actual route that we did. The Black Mountain / 'nobody knows Top Gear crashed a helicopter here' road being the A4069. 

It was great to meet you all and it would be nice to do this again if people would like to. We can defo aim to do that other Top Gear road as well as revisit some of the places where the route was spoiled by the rain. 

As for the castle thing Keith, this is genuinely possible if people would like to. Might be a decent idea to do this over a weekend and get some driving in but spread over a few days rather than having to cover so many miles in one day. 

Had a quick look and found this little beaut. 

http://www.forgottenhouses.co.uk/properties/manorbier-castle-pembroke-wales/

Doesn't look like there is a moat or a drawbridge, but the sea is there and plenty of parking for semi-circle action as you can see. I'm sure there are more, Wales is chock full of castles. 

Looks like a good day and turn out. I know and love the roads you took. Hoping to get back over in the next few weeks myself 

looks like yet another good trip, well my Sunday commitments are finished for the year so I'm now available for the next one and looking forward to it