Nige's Wide Body Project

I'm sure you have all seen the thread titled "Nige's GT86" in the projects and builds section.. well, I decided to start a new thread for this project car as it has made a complete U turn in what I intend to do with it.

So, I'm starting a new thread, at a very appropriate point in my opinion...

Here we have one GT86 stripped shell, mounted on a custom made rotisserie. In the background we can see my daily driver which is being rebuilt following a water damage to the engine incident.

Finished%20rotisserie.jpg

The rotisserie allows the body to be rotated and worked on in any orientation, so instead of having to grovel around on ones back to seam weld the floor, one can simply stand on a stool and do it vertically from the top.. like this....

Finished%20rotisserie3.jpg

Or you could always have the floor in front of your face??

Finished%20rotisserie4.jpg

Or the other way round??

Finished%20rotisserie2.jpg

Having this jig will also make the job of stripping sealant and cutting out the boot floor a lot easier, especially for an old bugger like me!!

Thanks for looking in, if the mods aren't happy about me having two threads on the go for the same project, please feel free to delete the other one..

I'm confused as to the need for a new thread, surely it's just going to continue where the old one left off?

But who am I to complain as long as we keep getting more brilliant updates, keep up the good work :)

I'm confused as to the need for a new thread, surely it's just going to continue where the old one left off?

k :)

I've started a new thread because this is how the project should have started, not painting and cleaning stuff!!

So Nigel, what it will become at the end of it? A show car, a race car.....

It'll be a quick, pretty little stripped out car for the track and the road. I'll probably be doing sprints with it if the truth be known??

Excellent, Nige! Competition.... B):ph34r:

(Better hurry up though.... not sure I'll get my wife's approval for another year... and she don't know what this year has cost..!!)

Spec K

Excellent, Nige! Competition.... B):ph34r:

(Better hurry up though.... not sure I'll get my wife's approval for another year... and she don't know what this year has cost..!!)

Spec K

Wife, what is one of those?

I think I nearly had one once, but apparently I escaped unbruised.. so my married friends tell me??

Anytime Dave!!

I've just started inspecting all the parts, and I will say right here right now, this is one of the best presented, best finished kits i have ever had the pleasure of owning. I built a Sparco weld in cage once, this Custom Cages kit is a million times better, they even deburr every cut.

The paperwork is clear and concise and the drawings are just about perfect. This cage cost around £1800 all in, but in my opinion it was well worth it.

Just in case you're wondering what's in that big black bag and the box,,, here's a couple of shots..

Tubes.jpg

Tubes%201.jpg

Boy, am I gonna have some fun with this little lot!!

Wow! That's a serious cage nige, how many points does it mount to the chassis?

It certainly is a serious cage AJ!! If you mean end of tube points, then the answer is 10 point. If you include all the intact points it's 16 I think.

Lucky me, I've got a week off, so it's time to play cars!!

I thought I would start by playing with some body parts for a change :o :o, car body parts of course :D

Here's the start of the rear fender fitment. This kit came from Knight racer.. it is very reasonably priced, but it does take a lot of effort to fit. I think I will end up popping off some moulds and making my own.

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

Notice the clamp at the rear, going through the light fitting, if I remove the front tape and clamps the wing sticks out by over a foot!! On the other side the fuel flap hole doesn't line up.Grrrrrrr!!!!

The problem is, unless the moulding is fully supported, it will always sag and loose its shape.  Best is to leave it in the hot sun for a few hours, and then clamp it in place.  i had exactly the same issue with a Knight Racer semi carbon TRD front bumper spoiler I have.  One I had 'softened' it, I fitted it onto a spare bumper I have, and have left it on the bumper, to help it keep its shape  (I still haven't decided if I actually want to fit the TRD body kit to my say, so it is packed away in my storage lockup)

It's to be expected with any kind of aftermarket panels, even the more expensive carbon fibre stuff like from Seibon can be troublesome to fit :(

To be fair, for the price of it, I'd expect it to fit! 

I'm with Lauren on this one.. I have made various body panels from GRP, and they always fit.. why?? Because I take the time to make a great Buck, then take the mould off it as a rigid supported item. I also add whatever is neccesary to make the mould retain its shape.

Dave, I think these are too far out to be corrected with the sun. It takes all the strength I have to pull the right wing onto the body, then the area around the filler still won't go!! I have asked for a replacement.

The problem here is obvious.. Knight Racer have taken a mould off the original kit, which is inherintly floppy. They've then made their panels thicker so they won't flex like the priginals, hence they are a nightmare to fit.

When I get round to it I'll make my own moulds and use these panels as my Bucks. My panels will be thin, light and will fit!! We need to think of a name for my parts, as I don't want to call them "Rocket Bunny", they clearly aren't..

It'll be worth it in the long run, especially "when" I prang it!!