Nige's Wide Body Project

Thanks Tareim. You haven't had to wait too long..

The four spat moulds are now cleaned up and polished and have had a few days to cure, so it's time to start making some panels..

IMG_3464.jpg

First part is a thin layer of gel coat. I don't like to lay on a thick layer of gel coat if I know the panel is going to be painted. It's especially valid with these panels as the edges are so very thin. Less Gel coat = more glass fibres.

IMG_3465.jpg

The gel coat can sit overnight, then tomorrow I'll lay down some glass and tissue, paying particular attention to the tight corners....

One other thing I did tonight was paint the arches with poly primer.. looks better already!!

IMG_3463.jpg

Are we all interested in seeing the fibreglass process, or just the finished products???

Your keen request will be rewarded Rob..

It's not that interesting really, but there are some little tips to be picked up off an old experienced enthusiast!!

I'm pretty much self taught and have picked up some do's and don'ts along the way..

Your keen request will be rewarded Rob..

It's not that interesting really, but there are some little tips to be picked up off an old experienced enthusiast!!

I'm pretty much self taught and have picked up some do's and don'ts along the way..

To you it may be like paint drying, but for someone that's never used the stuff i'm interested :)

To you it may be like paint drying, but for someone that's never used the stuff i'm interested :)

It's not at all like watching paint dry Rob, it's much slower!!

So, you've seen the first stages which are polish and wax the mould, then apply Gel coat. What you haven't seen is the making of cardboard templates of the required sheet sizes to be cut from the 300gsm mat I'll be using.

I always finish my panels off with woven roving, this gives a much smoother and more uniform finish than chopped strand mat.

You'll see what I'm talking about over the next couple of days. You'll like what you see!!

The car is looking awesome nige the rocket bunny parts look perfect now. knowing what they started like they now look like the genuine parts. Amazing job mate

Thanks Dan. It's been a long hard journey, but the end is in sight now!!

Steve,

There are different methods of laying Carbon Fibre, none of which I've ever done. What I can tell you is that all the processes are similar in that they use a Resin of sorts and a cloth to make any form, strong and light.

As promised, I have taken some pics along the way to making the spats..

Here we can see the moulds with four pieces of tissue on top. The tissue is placed over the edges first as it will form into the tight corners easier...

IMG_3469.jpg

Then we need to cut the fibreglass In preparation for laying up the part. I have chosen to separate each spat into three sections, top, back and sides. This allows the panels to be butted up against each other, again to aid fill in the tight corners.

IMG_3468.jpg

I have chosen to use two layers of 300gsm mat and then finish off with one layer of 300gsm woven roving. This gives a much nicer finish than the chopped strand mat, being more uniform and smooth.

This is the inside of the finished part, removed from the mould. Note the finish..

IMG_3471.jpg

Here's the outside. Remember I said I like to keep the gel coat thin...

IMG_3470.jpg

I also got the other side of the arches painted today so I can start on making the main moulds now..

See you soon..

Thanks for your compliments guys, I'm glad you enjoy it so much. I'm having a great time!!

As already mentioned, the next step in the production of this wide body kit is the main fenders. Here are finished bucks all polished and ready to be painted with gel coat, which will form the moulds outer skin.

Note the door skin is fitted, this is to allow some flanges to be added to the mould. Once the flanges are done, the door will be cracked out of the moulds so the shell can go up on its side to have the rest of the moulds completed. It's far easier to work down on a horizontal surface than a vertical one.

IMG_3472.jpg

From the rear, note number two posing in the background.

IMG_3473.jpg

So, the gel coat has been applied. This is a very smelly and messy job, but it's fun trying to get a smooth even surface.. as you can see, not very successfully!!

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

Now we can start adding the glass.. stay tuned fans...

Hi Lee,

I went for ratio pack number 3 with a 0.962 drop gear ratio. Works out at 269kmh at 7500 rpm in 6th.

It'll be a good starting point with the option to go higher with different drop gears and diff ratios.

Bit of a bigger post this time chaps. The mould making process is coming along nicely, so I thought I'd share some images..

Here's the side of the car with around 6 or 7 layers of glass laid up in stages to achieve a good strong mould.

IMG_3482.jpg

Next, some stiffeners are added to give some rigidity and feet to the mould. I could use these moulds for crash protection one day!! :D:D This adds to the work involved but along with the fact the mould is actually being made on the car rather than just off a loose panel, I can guarantee a perfect fit every time the mould is used.

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

Then, after much wrestling and swearing, the moulds pop off the bucks and can now be cleaned up ready for use.

IMG_3491.jpg

Just two more flares, a pair of sills, front spoiler and rear diffuser to go now!!

Thanks for looking..

Wow, it's been 11 days since I posted on here!! That must be a record.

So, all eight mouldings are done now, of the main arches of course. I need a break from resin and itching so I thought I'd do what I love best.. cutting!!

Here we can see the left rear arch marked out and waiting for serious surgery..

LR%20pre%20cut.jpg

And the right..

RR%20Pre%20cut.jpg

Once the plasma cutter and angle grinder have attacked the arches, they look like this..

LR%20Cut.jpg

LR%20Cut1.jpg

RR%20Cut.jpg

Cut%20arches.jpg

As we can see, the inner arch still needs to be removed. Note the fact that the outer arch is simply bonded to the inner. I doubt the arches on unmodified cars will ever see much corrosion here? It's a lovely simple design.

The inner arches are cut back quite a bit to enable a parallel, (to the ground), strip of steel to be welded into the gap. I also need to add a lip at the front of the arch to give myself something to screw the arch extension to.

RR%20Inner.jpg

RR%20Inner%201.jpg

LR%20Inner.jpg

It's at times like this the rotisserie is worth every drop of sweat that went into making it!!

So, that's it for now.. I'll get my fabricating head on and start filling in the gap.

Moving along, slowly...

The right side has now been done. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out, even though it won't be seen under the fender flares.. The time taken to trim and fit the panels has paid off in my opinion.

IMG_3521.jpg

From underneath..

IMG_3522.jpg

The one view that will be readily seen is the inside. Here's the view which will look great under a good coat of glossy white two pack.

IMG_3526.jpg

Thanks for looking in, things should start getting a little more interesting now..

Oh, just one thing I nearly forgot to mention.... I had a look at one of the sills today bought with my kit.. guess what.. it's twisted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrr more cutting and shutting so I can make a mould that resembles a quality product!!

Awesome work as always Nigel.

Thanks Jeff,

The other side is done now.. time to think about pedal boxes and seat mountings..

Yet more brilliant work Nige :D

Love this thread

Thanks Jamie..