Nige's Wide Body Project

looking good as always.

what have the neighbors said when its out in the open like that?

Thanks Tareim,

They haven't seen it as far as I'm aware. It doesn't come out very often.

I posted over a week ago stating I was getting ready to start on the moulds... well, I thought I was. I keep finding non perfect areas of smoothness and have had to go and sort out all the little cut outs for the screws or rivets to go in. I had also forgotten that I needed to radius and true the top edges, so, I have been all week in the evenings and two solid weekend days to get to here....

RB%20FR%207.jpg

RB%20FR%206.jpg

Not too good eh?? I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end, but right now I'm losing the will to live!! Just three more arches, skirts and the front spoiler to go!!!

Nige, it will all be worth it in the end.  The problem is that you, like me, are a perfectionist, and good enough is just not good enough!  I am also having lots of fun at the moment with my race Yaris - removing all the seam sealer inside, and getting the roll cage to fit properly, so that it can be welded in  :(

Nige, it will all be worth it in the end.  The problem is that you, like me, are a perfectionist, and good enough is just not good enough!  I am also having lots of fun at the moment with my race Yaris - removing all the seam sealer inside, and getting the roll cage to fit properly, so that it can be welded in  :(

Pics Dave! This is a must :D

Pics Dave! This is a must :D

I will update my build thread after the weekend, Rob when there is something worthwhile to show  ;)

Edit - I have posted a few boring pictures in my TSS Yaris build thread, just to prove that there is progress being made  :P

Well, I found a little light at placed it at the end of a very long tunnel..

After many hours of sorting the edges, the fuel filler hole and the little cut outs, I turned my attention to the little spats and getting the radii done on all the edges. This is the result...

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

The fuel filler is covered in tape, then expanding foam and a plastic bag. A final skim of filler and then the fender could be refitted. This is done to ensure a good trimming edge for the panels and give the mould some integrity.

IMG_3430.jpg

Note the joins between the spats and main panels, I'm proud of em!!

So, we now have one side completely done and ready for a coat of reface, which is a polyester very high build primer, perfect for taking a mould off.

Thanks for looking in. Sorry if this is all a little boring, progress is very slow, even though I'm out in the garage every night and weekend!!

The word you're looking for is admirable Nige, not boring !

Thanks mate.. However, I am extremely bored of this now!!

Did you ever consider simply manufacturing a wide body shell from scratch? Might have been easier

I may as well have!! I have done it once before, many moons ago, when I did a Lancia with a wire frame, covered in fibreglass, then smoothed out with filler. I think that was easier than this??

every time you make a post i am amazed at this partly for the amount of work that is needed to make it all fit properly, however mostly to your sheer skill in doing all of this on a driveway if you are ever down south for one of the meets i shall gladly buy you a beer and pick your brains about all of this !

I may as well have!! I have done it once before, many moons ago, when I did a Lancia with a wire frame, covered in fibreglass, then smoothed out with filler. I think that was easier than this??

I don't doubt it for a minute. It's all very impressive. It is going to look fantastic when done though.

Thanks Dave!! Not the best, but probably the slowest.

When I really started looking I found there was a difference in the arches at the rear, side to side. I thought it was just the actual rim of the arch, but it turned out to be the whole arch that was out of shape!! Grrrr!! So, I basically had a fully formed and finished pair of wings, but each was different!!! So, I now am working on getting the left rear wing to the same shape as the right.

I really wish I'd bought the GReddy kit now.

Think you need a word with trading standards, ridiculous they can sell something so far out of spec. The fact it is looking great is a credit to your skills mate.

www.im-tuned.uk

To be fair to KnightRacer, they offered replacements when I complained, even after the 30 day contracted exchange period.

Also, we know these panels will fit, with a lot of work, as can be seen on the car in their ads (and on facebook apparently)?

But, I am not at all happy to live with this, and have the knowledge to remake them, so that's exactly what I'm doing. I have been so fussy with the bucks that I may have a kit that fits even better than the Rocket Bunny original?? We shall see once I pop some panels.

In case you haven't noticed, over on the Fensport forums, I have ordered the Samsonas S/C sequential 'box from Adrian. I was going to get the Quaife QBE69G, but the Samsonas does "look" a lot tougher, has billet machined casings by the look of it and is also slightly cheaper. 

Thanks for looking in, I am hoping to have the bucks completed today, then I can start on the front spoiler and sills, yippee!!!

In case you haven't noticed, over on the Fensport forums, I have ordered the Samsonas S/C sequential 'box from Adrian. I was going to get the Quaife QBE69G, but the Samsonas does "look" a lot tougher, has billet machined casings by the look of it and is also slightly cheaper. 

Very nice, this is great news.  Yes they are billet cases.  I'm currently sat on the fence between those two boxes also.

The light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to appear....

I now have the four little spats ready to take moulds off. They've been attached to the bumpers, sealed in, covered in polyester primer filler and polished.

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

This is how I believe moulds should be made. Bolted in situ and given a "shelf" around the edge to trim to. Note the massive lumps of filler fore and aft of the spats will be removed.

The light is glowing brightly!!

After being slowed down by the ridiculous VIC I had to get done, along with collecting and returning the trailer, I finally have some decent progress pics for you.

Here we can see the new bumper protection I've made... no really these are the moulds complete for the rear spats.

IMG_3451.jpg

One of the moulds popped off can be seen here. Note the blue/white gel coat combination. This makes the edges of the panel more obvious when laying the glass. Also, the flanges will allow the accurate trimming of the edges to fit directly onto the car with minimal trimming.

IMG_3452_1.jpg

I still need to clean up the edges and fill the little divets where the pop rivets are. I managed to use countersunk screws on the main panels, but this wasn't possible on the bumpers.

On the backside we have the double purpose lumps. They act as both stiffeners and feet to stand the mould on whilst in use. If you put stiffeners in your moulds, you guarantee the moulded panel will fit as it will not be distorted...

IMG_3453_1.jpg

I've nearly finished the front bumper spats now, which is a good thing, because I am not enjoying working with the massive floppy and unwieldy bumpers...I feel like crocodile Dundee wrestling a big gator!!!

Guys, please create a thread to discuss brakes, this is Nige's project thread and we should keep it that way. Alternatively, as Nige has already suggested, get your own project thread :P

Thanks Rob. I was thinking the same thing myself. You could in fact delete all irrelevant posts, including Special K's wind up.

I mean ALL irrelevant posts, in fact all posts back to and including Keith's.

Well guys, I found my little old pram today and put all my toys back in it.

I over reacted I think, but I'll try not to be so sensitive in future.

Perhaps the youngsters on here don't understand, but us old buggers can be a bit funny, and miserable, and sensitive.

The build will continue, on here, and Rob will delete all posts that don't relate directly to my build.

I now have four spat moulds sitting in the garage, waiting to be cured enough to use, then I can make the spats and trial fit them onto the bumpers and fender extensions before the shell goes back on the rotisserie.