JamesP1991

Booked In At Fensport

Afternoon everyone,

Just got off the phone with the guys at Fensport a minute ago. 

Booked my car in for a remap and if they twist my arm enough on the day some Crawford Power Blocks too.

The date the car is booked in for is the Wednesday 29th April, so I just thought I would ask and see if anyone else is making the trip over to them on that day? 

They were fully booked in for all of March and Adrian is away In Oz early April so was the closet date I could get!

Be good to bump into a couple of guys and have a chat :) 

Well if I do decide to get them next month I will do a proper review once I have gone for a proper drive. 

Most of what I have read about them has come from the FT86 club forum over the pond. 

Here is a link to the thread which is quite insightful: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62007 

Independent review of them is here too: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3443/TESTED-Crawford-Performance-FR-SBRZ-Power-Blocks-Intake-Manifold-Spacers.aspx 

To me they seem more than a gimmick if slightly overpriced. 

Do it James, treat yourself 

I think even after I end up crunching the numbers RE my bank account I will probably end up doing it any way! I am too much of a pushover when it comes to my car! 

They were even tempting me with the short final drive ratio after I mentioned to them that I hated how long 6th gear was! 

Did some digging and apparently the theoretical top speed at 7400rpm in 6th on the stock ratios is 168mph! 

Makes you wonder why they made it so long?! My guess is fuel economy but 168mph is just over kill in my opinion!  

good luck at getting over 140mph

The 4.44 final drive ratio from M Factory that is also on the Fensport site tops out around 152mph. Would go with that if I do anything as that is probably the best compromise in terms of fuel economy yet improved acceleration. 

It's not just economy for the FD, for me I'd worry about revs on the motorway doing your head in especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. 6th is always just a cruise gear until you really up the power.

The Crawford blocks will be a marmite thing, personally why buy a car designed to rev and then lower where it makes peak power? That may just be because I come from a background of high RPM cars....

It's not just economy for the FD, for me I'd worry about revs on the motorway doing your head in especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. 6th is always just a cruise gear until you really up the power.

The Crawford blocks will be a marmite thing, personally why buy a car designed to rev and then lower where it makes peak power? That may just be because I come from a background of high RPM cars....

Well with the slightly less aggressive 4.44 I think the cruising rpm at 70mph only goes up 500rpm to around 3500 which Is something that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The car isn't a daily driver anyway so it's not like my ears would be bleeding after a couple of days!

But that modification is far down the round yet anyway, was just an idea that they planted in my head whilst on the phone :)

To be honest Knightryder, the only reason they interested me was because it looked like the gains to be had in the mid range outweighed the losses you experience at the top end, but it's something I am going to talk with Adrian about and get his guidance on when I go and pay Fensport a visit.. After all they certainly know a lot more than me haha!

I've driven a car with the 4.44 ratio, with a loud exhaust.

Makes hardly any difference and isn't a problem really.

Nor does it make it any less comfortable. Generally all pretty positive when I test drove one. 

Cheers for the feedback Jay, will probably be something I either do later on this year or next year given it is quite expensive, so it is good to hear from someone who has some personal experience driving it. 

When it comes to in gear acceleration did you notice any considerable gain in terms of it feeling more urgent? 

Cheers for the feedback Jay, will probably be something I either do later on this year or next year given it is quite expensive, so it is good to hear from someone who has some personal experience driving it. 

When it comes to in gear acceleration did you notice any considerable gain in terms of it feeling more urgent? 

The one I drove had to many other mods to say if the improved acceleration was down to the final drive! I think the majority of it was, and physics would suggest it does increase accelleration! 

But it also had lighten clutch / flywheel, aluminium prob, manifold and remaps etc. 

Only down side I can think of is there is a slight whine at low revs. But I like that and wouldn't bother me! 

I've had the final drive ratio changed by Abbey as a single upgrade some months after the SC work was completed and can definitely say that it was a worthwhile standalone upgrade as in i could easily tell the difference before and after.

Go for it

The one I drove had to many other mods to say if the improved acceleration was down to the final drive! I think the majority of it was, and physics would suggest it does increase accelleration! 

But it also had lighten clutch / flywheel, aluminium prob, manifold and remaps etc. 

Only down side I can think of is there is a slight whine at low revs. But I like that and wouldn't bother me! 

To be honest a bit of a whine would be an added bonus in my eyes! If I closed my eyes I could almost imagine the car had a straight cut gearbox ;)

Nice to see they do have quite an effect though, Might treat myself later on this year around Christmas time once I have done a few other bits including the brakes :) 

I've had the final drive ratio changed by Abbey as a single upgrade some months after the SC work was completed and can definitely say that it was a worthwhile standalone upgrade as in i could easily tell the difference before and after.

Go for it

Cheers for the feedback Palsx. 

What one did you go for? The 4.67 or the 4.44 final drive? 

The biggest gripe I have with the stock ratios is that 5th and 6th are just far too long for my tastes and it means the revs just drop right out of the sweet spot in the torque band. 

The biggest gripe I have with the stock ratios is that 5th and 6th are just far too long for my tastes and it means the revs just drop right out of the sweet spot in the torque band.

He has an Auto so the ratios are different anyway. You'll need a more extreme FD on the Autos as all the ratios are longer. 6th will only ever be a cruise gear unless you change out the cog, even with the S/C it's only ever used when cruising around.

would come James but im already fully tied up. 

That's a shame Quball! 

They did say they were fully booked up in March and most of April so no doubt I will bump into someone else on the day down there :) 

Knight is right - I do have the Auto but would still recommend having the final drive work done. I think I had 4.44 installed, could have gone further but I took Mark @ Abbey's advice as he's looked after me and my car since day 1.

Knight is right - I do have the Auto but would still recommend having the final drive work done. I think I had 4.44 installed, could have gone further but I took Mark @ Abbey's advice as he's looked after me and my car since day 1.

The more I look at the 4.44 the more I find it would just bring the car alive that bit extra that it needs. A fair way off yet though, remap, brakes and other goodies are on the agenda over the next few months first :) 

Looking forward to seeing Fensports GT86R in the flesh for the first time!