Sign in to follow this  
Twigman

Trackdays and helmets

I've never done a track day in a car before (!!!) and do not possess a car specific helmet.

there's a possibility I might be tempted this year.

Do bike helmets (I have 4!! Arai Viper + 3xArai Quantum e) pass scrutineering at trackdays or do the helmets have to be car specific?

There is no scrutineering for trackdays in regards to helmets. Bike helmets are fine to use.

Car specific helmets have an FR rating which is fire retardant. If you were to go racing you would need a car specific helmet but this does not apply to trackdays.

I.e. if you wish to take part in the Toyota Sprint Series, you'll need a Snell something approved helmet or something (it's specified in the regulations for the TSS or I'm sure someone will correct me )

I've never done a track day in a car before (!!!) and do not possess a car specific helmet.there's a possibility I might be tempted this year.Do bike helmets (I have 4!! Arai Viper + 3xArai Quantum e) pass scrutineering at trackdays or do the helmets have to be car specific?

Might be worth checking you fit in the car with your lid on first before booking a track day.

I've just tried this morning ahead of Oulton Park on the 5th Feb and was surprised how little clearance I have between helmet and roof.

Oh and I'm 6"1

Here are regs, difficult to read for some reason:

The requirement for all classes in the Toyota Sprint Series is a helmet conforming to BS6658 Type A (blue & white BSI sticker), AFR (red & white BSI sticker) or Snell SA2000. There are loads of companies that will sell you one of these (Demon Tweeks, Grand Prix Racewear etc.).

But really any new crash helmet or one that is in good obvious condition will pass this really. 

Taken from elsewhere:

BS 6658 Type A/FR Snell SA95 *, Snell SA2000

SFi Foundation Sfi spec 31.1*, SFi Foundation Sfi spec 31.2 *

MSA events only - BS 6658-85A (Type B is not acceptable)

Car specific helmets that are 'FR, so fire retardant are obviously ideal. I only use these kind of helmets as a rule simply because I only have one head and it'd be difficult to replace!

Lauren - instead of just copy/paste, use copy/paste and match formatting. It'll just give you the text without the formatting. Can edit it if you like?

Copy and paste works.

The requirement for all classes in the Toyota Sprint Series is a helmet conforming to BS6658 Type A (blue & white BSI sticker), AFR (red & white BSI sticker) or Snell SA2000. There are loads of companies that will sell you one of these (Demon Tweeks, Grand Prix Racewear etc.).