Captain Duff

DW car of the day

The Aero is car of the day over on detailing world, although most of the discussion is the old nonsense about power and why don't you just get a hot hatch. Have tried telling them its because most hot hatches are bland and boring! http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=354407 

Clearly none of them have drove it, the 0-60 is far faster than 7.7, not that it matters.

Man when I was on my test drive I thought this, 7.7 seemed mad when I was driving it. I'm convinced it was nippier than my R26.

I haven't read it yet but it really irks me when people compare these to hot hatches. Hot hatches are FWD, this is RWD. Completely different experience. Surely people on detailing world are into cars (maybe just cleaning them?!) so I'm surprised by comments like that.

Believe dude, there are plenty of people who love cars for being pretty things and don't have a clue how to drive them. Most of us know a guy who literally kept his 86 on pads of carpet in his garage and hardly even drove it so not surprising at all. Majority of the people over on piston heads have the same opinion, not as many haters but still plenty which you'd think more of them would understand the type of car this is. There was even a massive argument when Chris Harris drove the Porsche, 370z (or was it the 350z?) and the 86 as people were comparing new to old cars.

I don't get bothered by these people talking about the lack of power all the time, we all know the car needs a good shove up the backside, but that's only because the chassis is so bloody good!!

In reality, no one drives their car hard all day long so having extra BHP in a hot hatch makes no difference whatsoever. When the time comes to have a flat out driving day, the guy in the Toyota will have more fun because he will smile for longer than the guy who is understeering on every damp corner and fighting with the wheel as those front tyres try to find some grip. Also, the GT86 will turn more heads than any hot hatch...fact.

Think of it like this.. Before buying off road tyres for my Defender, I asked an owner with BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, "What are they like on snowy roads mate" he replied, "As good as whatever you're stuck behind"... "good point" I thought.

I spent many years in the RS owners club ( I've since had counselling) and got very frustrated with people that thought if a car didn't have 400 hp+ it was slow and boring. These were the same folk that preferred to go to pub meets and shows and park up all day polishing and cleaning them!

Whenever I suggested track days or a trip to the ring or spa they seemed more worried about stone chips and adding mileage than driving the flipping things.

There is a place for cleaning and polishing and as I make a living from that I can't really complain, however the GT owners club is the club for DRIVERS and all you guys seem to "get it".

BHP is a good thing but without control or handling it means nothing (American cars spring to mind).

I don't have a 400hp car anymore but do I enjoy the GT any less, far from it. It is honestly more fun than ANY car I've owned.

Rant over ......

John

The Aero is car of the day over on detailing world, although most of the discussion is the old nonsense about power and why don't you just get a hot hatch. Have tried telling them its because most hot hatches are bland and boring! http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=354407 

A lot of them are quite clueless - comparing a torque steering hot hatch with the GT?!

I'm still smiling every day I drive to work, and that is even with out having to drift around every corner and roundabout :)