nickfrog

Cheap Goodyear Eagle F1s through Kwik Fit

They work out at £170/pair fitted in 215 45 17 87Y after 3% Topcashback, £20 Goodyear cashback scheme and refund of the old tyre recycling cost if like me you sell the Primacy on ebay.

All from Kwik-Fit online unfortunately but home fitting will get me some sort of control over the work...

So is that £170 per pair after the 3% discount of the £20 refund?  or are these on top?  If the 3% and £20 refund is on top, that is a pretty good price.  Since they're fitting it at your home, I assume you'll be about, I'd tell them anyways where the jacking points are just in case.

It's £199 - 3% - £20 - £3 for the refund of prepaid recycling fee.

I never had mobile tyre fitting. Are the jacking points obvious. Do they need rubber pads of wood not to mark the metal ?

Would they reach the central front jacking point ?

Nick - it is virtually impossible to get to the "central front jacking point" - it is the crossmember, a normal reach jack will not get underneath far enough and the crossmember is covered by the undertray.

Just behind the front wheels, on each side, you will find the body seam. There is a groove in the seam which identifies the place to put your jack. Same with the rear wheels, except the grooves are in front of the wheels.

If you use a highlift jack you can lift both wheels on one side off the deck. But you will invariable squash the body seam - as the car lifts it angles away from the jack and the seam bends outwards...  this can be overcome with a suitably carved square piece of wood with a groove cut in it which sits on the jack lifting platform to accept the protruding seam

... bent seams are not a major issue as they can always be straightened out with a lump hammer or mole grips but purists react in horror...

Spec K

Not all Good Year tyres are the same!

Not sure what you mean ?

Ta for all the other advice though.

They called to postpone to the 29th instead of tomorrow and will be refunding £25 for the inconvenience...

They front central jacking point isn't actually difficult to reach unless you've lowered the car, it's not as deep as the rear central jacking point and it isn't covered by the under tray but it right next to it. See this thread here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10111

I bow to your experience, Keethos.... I admit I have never tried to use my highlift jack before my car was lowered and I certainly could not get a lump of wood on top of the lift platform (which it would need, as the platform is circular and exceeds the space at the front jacking point). Also, my handle hits the bottom bumper lip before it reaches underneath far enough.

Spec K

Some tyres are made in Germany

and some are made in El cheapo China

Good to know mate, thanks. I have 2 of them made in Germany now at the rear so I am hoping the KF ones will be the same. You've actually seen China made Eagle F1s or is it other Goodyear tyres ?

Well. It went pretty well. The Kwik Fit man was impressed by my device and used it with his pneumatic jack, which didn't fit under the front bumper for centre jack point purposes. Their mobile equipment is brand new and clearly very alloy friendly. He let me in the van to observe and he was ever so careful.

Both tyres were Made in Germany and therefore totally match the rears.

Thanks Kwik Fit. Unexpected but refreshing.