DaveB

Best Brakes

ummm.... now wondering if i'm looking like a fool. But... with the (my) stock brakes you can hold the brakes on the way in and get the car sliding, and catch it with the throttle. But what happens if you increase the front brake force too much? surely you'll just plough straight on? I don't know but £2000 on 6 pot calipers is a lot of money to spend if it ruins the handling.

It's the weight transfer you want, which loosens the back end to get the car sliding on the way in. As an example I had a JDM DC2 which had had a big disc and caliper upgrade on the front, but the rears were stock. The bigger brakes I felt helped get the weight to transfer to a greater effect which helped over steer when used in conjunction with trail braking. This of course is essential for a DC2 as it's how you drive it. If I upgraded the rears to match it would have made the situation worse. 

I guess in essence, cars and bikes are different!

@Lauren you don't think a bit more rear brake would help the back around?

You can trail brake just fine with the stock brake setup. The car oversteers easily enough if you trail brake into a corner, using the weight transfer to unload the rear. 

Yes think so, the thing is standard car is so good I can't see a way to beef up the brakes without changing balance. I guess that's what the hand brake is for.

The answer to this is in my earlier post. Balance the upgrades you carry out on the front and rear.

I.e use the same compound of pads and match the rotors.

It doesn't sound particularly like you are exceeding the performance of the standard brakes so simply use better brake fluid, brake lines and pads.

I am hoping the OE pads will survive short 10mn sessions indeed... I also think that technique helps a little too. I have seen novice drivers not realising how much lat grip there is and overusing the brakes yet not braking hard enough, maximising contact time between pads and discs, hence overheating unnecessarily, when a shorter/harder application would have worked better in terms of heat management.

Thinking about it though if you put more bias to the rear, you could make the car less stable which will of course help to bring the rear into play. 

Lauren,

I have no dispute with your clear advice... but I'm a bit concerned you may be leading ".. road.." drivers into areas and skills of car/pedal control  that need developing.  On track.. this is a FERWD and so many new FEFWD owners are bewitched by this 'tail hang out' ease and simplicity of the Toyobaru..

... and we will have at least two opportunities this year - Oulton in Feb and Brands in April/May - for you, personally,  to demonstrate this to these new owners.

I have a personal interest in this - the less of us who pile your cars into a wall the better the insurance statistics stack up, and the lower our "banding" goes...

I am hoping the OE pads will survive short 10mn sessions indeed... I also think that technique helps a little too. I have seen novice drivers not realising how much lat grip there is and overusing the brakes yet not braking hard enough, maximising contact time between pads and discs, hence overheating unnecessarily, when a shorter/harder application would have worked better in terms of heat management.

Nick - come on track and experience it.

We can all 'postulate' our own viewpoints on the Forum.  But, at the end of the day, it comes to what you - personally - are comfortable with.

Learn the limits of your car - with someone else's help. Then learn your own limits (aka comfort zone).

This is not a competition and the GT86DC should (and we are) sharing experience and knowledge to make your ownership not only fun but a learning curve...

(Shite! - I sound like a pontificating fart... oh, I am...)

Spec K

Nick - come on track and experience it.

We can all 'postulate' our own viewpoints on the Forum.  But, at the end of the day, it comes to what you - personally - are comfortable with.

Learn the limits of your car - with someone else's help. Then learn your own limits (aka comfort zone).

This is not a competition and the GT86DC should (and we are) sharing experience and knowledge to make your ownership not only fun but a learning curve...

(Shite! - I sound like a pontificating fart... oh, I am...)

Spec K

Don't worry, I do think everyday is a school day. For me Bedford is ideal for a shakedown on a car I have never tracked so I will start there. I have Spa later this year so I'd better understand the car's balance by then !