Lauren

Winter tyres thread

I thought I'd start this thread as I admit, I have a bit of a fascination about winter tyres and comparing them with their more summer orientated counterparts. 

This is my second year with winter tyres on. Last year was very mild and I think they were not an advantage compared to my summer tyres. 

So, this year I'm hoping for colder weather so I can try them out properly. I've discovered that they don't work as well as my summer tyres do at say 7C. I don't think they gain an advantage until it's a fair bit colder. 

I've had mine on a week now and the difference between my Advans are fairly marked. The winters (Yoko-W Drives) have done winter for the past two years, so I'm beginning to wonder if they might be past their best. It suprised me at how easily the rear wheels lit up, although the conditions were greasy and they are 10mm less in width compared to my Advans. 

In a way it's been a lot of fun so far, though I've had the odd occasion where the lack of grip really surpised me. Fortunately it seems most of the slip is throttle orientated, though I've had the odd four wheel drift where all four wheels slide at the same time, to the same degree. That's been interesting. I've no understeer though. The front end seems quite hooked in, but the rear is lively. 

I do have a more aggressive geo setup than standard and obviously I've got my wikkid suspension. From what I recall my car feels a lot livelier this winter than it did on the last. 

I'm interested to hear how others are getting along with theirs. :)

I put mine on a couple days ago - nexen winguard sports (all my local tyre place would supply, wanted nokians) I fitted them and raised the suspension too, I now have toe out at the rear so you can imagine just how loose the car is just now ;) Alignment tomorrow though.

Now I've had the winter tyres on for nearly a month, I've actually grown to like them. It's a lot more fun than the sticky Advans and I can steer the car on the throttle far more. For the most part I just edge the car a bit on the rear with sport mode on, but it's far more playful which you just can't do with wider and stickier tyres on.

So, with this in mind, I've found the car to be a whole load more fun to drive again. I think I'm going to go back to a new set of Primacy's on my TE37's when spring comes round and ditch my part used Advans. I had an absolute ball with it last year, then I put the Advans on and well really the fun just stopped.

Sometimes less is more. ;)

Unless we get a stretch of icy weather I'm thinking I'll stick with the Primacys again. The temperature varies way too much in the UK - it was in double figures a couple days ago!

I've got used to how easy the Primacys can start to lose grip in the lower temperatures or when it's wet so it's just a matter of driving to the conditions for me. Makes leaving the car park at work fun as well :D

I find that the threshold is more like 1 or 2 deg, not 7 deg. But it depends on the summer tyres. Supersports were excellent in the cold(ish) compared to winters.

I just wished Michelin sold them in 215 45 17 in Europe. What a stupid move not to...

I use 225 x 50 x 16 snow tyres, now 2nd season, or 3rd! (Very little tyre wear)

and find them to lose grip more easily than summer tyres, 225 x 45 x 17

But a darn site safer than Premacys when trying to keep up with Audi quattros on dirty winter roads

I used to have extra load sidewalls on my summer tyres and found it stopped the fun, and was noisier to boot

Changed them to something less stiff and less sticky and the fun increased

Stephen

I use Michelin Alpin 205 50 17 on a set of OZ rims I bought earlier this year. Good, predicable handling in the cold and wet conditions. Fairly quiet on the road too, which is a bonus. The temperature hasn't gone North of 7 degrees since I fitted them so I can't comment about their suitability in marginal temperatures.

Running the car with 3 sets of tyres at different times makes interesting an comparison with the different compounds and characteristics.

The Primacys certainly make driving entertaining when it's dry, but I hate them in the wet, rubbish on trackdays.

The Toyo T1 Sports are very good in wet and dry conditions and a good compromise for the TSS and very good on trackdays.

The Alpins give that extra confidence in cold and wet conditions, really good when it's icy.

My 2p worth.

Hi Lauren

I think the summer tyres are Michelin sport pilot 3

Will check when I get back to my storage unit

Must be a fairly hard compound, low wear and low noise

Was on good year extra load, asymmetric which really were too noisy when travelling up to Scotland mile after mile,

but had very good grip and were great in the wet

Stephen

Looking at the long-range forecast and the current sunshine I'm thinking of swapping my winters back to summers this weekend - anyone else doing the same or have you done it already!

Mine are going on Saturday week, can't wait to get the winter tyres and stock wheels off! I would have done it a bit earlier, but that was the quickest we could sort it out.