chillismoke

Only real drivers can handle without TRC

What an absolute tool, you could see that it was a matter of time with the way he was driving around.....just wish someone actually captured the actual crash and his silly mug with tears in his eyes.

What an absolute tool, you could see that it was a matter of time with the way he was driving around.....just wish someone actually captured the actual crash and his silly mug with tears in his eyes.

If you have a look there is a few videos of the actual crash, oversteered, caught it then binned it into a lamp post narrowly missing people on the pavement. 

It's the most amateur mistake you can make, i.e., he put too much opposite lock on too late, was too abrupt lifting off the throttle, the car then went the other way and straight into the lamp post. 

Of the couple of times mine has lost traction at a concerning speed I've just gone clutch down to avoid lifting off too quickly. I figure it's safer to go clutch down as it'll mean no wheels are trying to drive the car and it'll naturally find its feet so to speak.

Of the couple of times mine has lost traction at a concerning speed I've just gone clutch down to avoid lifting off too quickly. I figure it's safer to go clutch down as it'll mean no wheels are trying to drive the car and it'll naturally find its feet so to speak.

Honestly, not a good way of doing it. Better to ease off the throttle as that way you still have control. You have no control if the clutch is pushed down. 

Easing off the throttle means the engine braking will help straighten the car up. 

I know it's not the best way - but it's not like I'm coasting along, the clutch is only down for a second or 2 while it re-gains grips.

If the rears let go at slow speeds I'm fine easing off, it's just when it does it at 65-70mph that things are a little different for me :P

Lol, you forget what Colin taught us at the drift day Mike? :P To be fair, I found that difficult in the caterham as it felt almost on and off gas wise, but he explained how you should roll off the gas rather than just straight off.

I know it's not the best way - but it's not like I'm coasting along, the clutch is only down for a second or 2 while it re-gains grips.

If the rears let go at slow speeds I'm fine easing off, it's just when it does it at 65-70mph that things are a little different for me :P

Mike, to learn the correct technique, you have to practice it. Even if you get off the throttle suddenly the car will pull back into line, albeit less tidily. It's not safe to dip the clutch, it will make the care more unstable and bringing the clutch up again won't help either. At high speeds it's particularly dangerous. 

Just want you and your car to live a bit longer.  :P

Yeah, I can confirm... Dipping the clutch is not a good move. Happened for me as natural reaction. But didn't end well as you know.....

Although may have saved some damage to the gearbox and clutch, either way. Driver training is the way forward......

:P

I've always assumed these sort of street events are for immature 15 year-olds, or those with the brains of one, having thankfully never been to one. And judging by the footage I think I was right as regards both drivers and audience!

Yeah, I can confirm... Dipping the clutch is not a good move. Happened for me as natural reaction. But didn't end well as you know.....

Although may have saved some damage to the gearbox and clutch, either way. Driver training is the way forward......

:P

In that case my clutch shall stay firmly up! (Except when changing gear obviously...)

But yea, for me it was a natural reaction due to the speed I was doing - last week when it rained the rears were letting go easily and I just backed off and it was fine.

Funnily enough, the time it happened at 70mph was round the corner from RRG after dropping you off :P