CHOSENMAN007

tire size on a 18x8

I'm on eibach springs. And already on 30psi, I might drop to 28psi and see how that goes. As for a bag of cement I rather drop psi and get those dampers in. 28 psi ok to RU. Fast road on?

The v105s are amazing on dry and especially wet I've not had a tire that felt like these in the wet but with the added oomph its the which static turns that give way. Let's see how they do with lower pressures and dampers.

I think Coilovers are the better option for getting a setup which you can adjust and get to how you want. 

I know many people have gone from Dampers to Coilovers. Just get coilovers. A good set of coilovers will be far better and get you far more control and a more ideal setup than a set of dampers. 

I understood that dampers are installed if you lower the car to give you the option to stiffen them up if needed to due to the added lows. Coilovers actually give you control and way more precision on the handling of the car. 

James - you will wear Cups out in no time on road....

225's are way too small for f/I in my opinion - you need ridiculously sensitive throttle control to stop the car 'snapping' on you under top acceleration/hard cornering.

235's on 8.5" or 9" rims are optimum - my 245's on 9" - great grip! - flex the walls too much.

But... big 'but'... we all drive differently and what is sauce for the goose makes a roast pig taste disgusting... err.....

Spec K

I wonder if it's a case of simply getting used to the power hike, James?

After all you haven't had the Sprintex kit fitted that long, so it's more about adjusting to how the power comes in and balancing the throttle perhaps?

James - you will wear Cups out in no time on road....

225's are way too small for f/I in my opinion - you need ridiculously sensitive throttle control to stop the car 'snapping' on you under top acceleration/hard cornering.

235's on 8.5" or 9" rims are optimum - my 245's on 9" - great grip! - flex the walls too much.

But... big 'but'... we all drive differently and what is sauce for the goose makes a roast pig taste disgusting... err.....

Spec K

Totally agree, I have 9.5 rims with 235's and shed loads of grip. The coilovers are set up to my style of driving.

I have 225 tyres on a 7.5J wheel on my car and love how I can still get the car to move around underneath me to enjoy the car. If I was out purely to go fast I think I would be considering a 235 front on a 265 rear maybe, but that would transform the car into something totally different. a 235 tyre on a 8.5J rim all round might be a strong all rounder option also

I have 225 tyres on a 7.5J wheel on my car and love how I can still get the car to move around underneath me to enjoy the car. If I was out purely to go fast I think I would be considering a 235 front on a 265 rear maybe, but that would transform the car into something totally different. a 235 tyre on a 8.5J rim all round might be a strong all rounder option also

It seems the consensus is on 235s. I could actually fit 235s on my 18x8. I agree I love the playfulness of the slimmer rubber but I noticed the down fall on racing a new golf r the other day where I had to pull out all the stops to drop it on b roads. The down fall was coming out of very slow corners and when your about to straighten up you boot it and the car fights for a split second for grip then its perfect. That where the golf always closed in. I was surprised how the golf struggled with slowing down for fast bends and roll on corners. But once out of corners and straights it was a beast.

At speed the Yoko's have surpassed all other tires I've ever used. Just the initial bite let me down. I could of gone faster with a bit more bite. So beating cars with more power is doable with your average Jo behind the wheel but like all things in life there is always some one who has your cards sorted and faster. : ) I feel slightly more initial grip is all I need.

So going to wide would lose the fun factor and I just need a bit more bite than 225s has to offer and now my talent on road is now catching up slightly to my ambition. So once my Yoko's are spent I shall stick 235s on my wheels.

Anyone got 235s on a 18x8 out there? Your personal view?

Will 235s offer a difference to 225s on a 18x8?

Jay as for the dampers they are robs old ones so getting them for a great used price! I can't warrant coil overs just yet as I feel I am now only becoming in to my own as a fast road driver and understanding how to go fast safely. So basically Ive just upgraded from novice to amateur. Once I feel I need more to match my added talent over time I shall add coil overs and more even more power etc. So dampers and slightly wider tires should do for now. I'm no rob or Lauren I would even get near to the limits of coil overs just now only managing to exploit stock shocks and eibach springs. Good thing is my talent is growing slowly so gives me time to save for more Gucci kit! Ain't out grown my jeans just yet. Waiting for rob to school me! Hint hint

Very true Lauren. Still getting used to it. Its funny how fast the car is now, you get used to the feel of it quickly but then look at your speedo and say bloody hell better ease off. You just don't realise how fast your going with f.I.

Yet to try 28psi, I know Keith loves that pressure for road too ; )

What pressure are you using on road Lauren?

Will 235s on a 8" give the same bite as a 235 on a 8.5" par say? Or even a 9"?

Next tire choice will be stay yoko v105s, eagle f1 a2s or pilot super sports if I can get them in a 235.

The big question is how would the car ride on 245s on a 18x8.. I've need told they would fit...

Here are some pics I've found of scion frs's running on 245/35/18s on 18x8s.

Could this be right? And can anyone see a drama with this fitment for fast road? Or is this just a bunch of wild yanks? Lol

post-315-0-17459900-1409184125_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-53607400-1409184144_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-35235300-1409184164_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-14667100-1409184178_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-93994100-1409184191_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-95682800-1409184203_thumb.jpg

I run 30 psi all round James, though I've been thinking lately, I might try 35 on the rear to see if that reduces the grip slightly, but I think I'm trying to do the opposite of you! 

I think an 8" rim is optimal with a 225. I think you'll be fine though with a 235, I mean you haven't had those wheels very long so I don't blame you for not wanting to buy another set. 

FF cars like a Golf can tend to get on the power earlier, but you can improve your chances by the line you take, maybe it's worth looking into that. Tuition is a good thing, these CAT days seem popular, or you could pick a track and book an instructor. All these things help. :)

Why cheap out on suspension to build up your talent to then upgrade to coilovers? 

Suspension setup won't make you a better driver.... 

Get the better setup then learn how to drive with that.

You can't gradually build up your talent to coilovers. Doesn't quite work like that... Unless i've missed something?

Why cheap out on suspension to build up your talent to then upgrade to coilovers? 

Suspension setup won't make you a better driver.... 

Get the better setup then learn how to drive with that.

You can't gradually build up your talent to coilovers. Doesn't quite work like that... Unless i've missed something?

James is hella low on money at the mo, i'd say the Koni's are adequate for what he wants and will give him greater adjustability than he currently has, which is next to nothing. Of course if you can afford coilovers for sure got for it. But given he already has springs it's a viable option for him imo.

I'm actual happy with my performance now. Just building on my defensive driver training I've got. Basically same as the police interceptors get. I'm a mostly road driver and hardly go on track. my car has loads of mods already, mods im srill getting to grips with. I cannot justify coil overs right now after a massive list at abbey and a new house.

I'm sure robs dampers will be enough for now.actually more than enough also cheap thanks rob ; ). So manning up to spend more money for something I feel I don't need just yet is pointless Dave, not to mention if you knew me I'm the last guy that needs to man up... Trust me!.all I'm saying. you guys are probably right but end of the day I'm happy and a great road driver, leave you pros to tackle tss. I'm actually booked in this sat for koni fitting and another map. I could buy set of coil overs tomorrow just feel dampers lower psi and more grip will be adequate.

Its cool Dave. We just all have different goals and we should tailor are spending to what we want to do with our cars. I just want a fast road 8-6.. So I've spent a lot of engine, braking, noise and wheels. Those that want track cars will go electronic trickery or high end coil overs.

Then again if you where very fortunate then build the best you can as money is no object. But I agree coil overs would be better and offer more adjustment but I don't really need them if I'm honest. The car does all I really need it to do just that added initial traction is all. Dampers would help that I guess with lower psi tires. But Dave you point is totally valid just came across like a slap Lol ; )