Bollox

Engine and cabin heater fitted - for free

Just got my car back from Calix here in my home town in Sweden.

They make heaters for cars etc.

For those who don't know - basicaly a heater coil is plugged into the block where one of the freeze discs go. This is connected to an external socket, which also feeds an outlet in the cabin, where a small (removeable) electric heater fan can be connected

http://www.calix.se/en/products/engine-heaters

They needed a car so they could test fit and document the fitting, so they borrowed my car for 2 days, and I got a loaner PLUS the €300 kit for free :)

Means I can plug the car into a timer socket outside my house when frost is expected, and wake up to a warm car, with the coolant already heated up = less pollution, less wear on the engine and more MPG.

Here's a pic of the cabin heater and the external electric socket.

Bit of a boring mod, but well worth it if you live where it gets cold.

post-496-0-24806600-1404319185_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-23437000-1404319188_thumb.jpg

Ok i've never seen this before, explain what it's for? Perhaps it's my British ignorance :P

EDIT: Obviously for heating, but whats wrong with the car heaters?

Ok i've never seen this before, explain what it's for? Perhaps it's my British ignorance :P

EDIT: Obviously for heating, but whats wrong with the car heaters?

Firstly, yes I mean core plugs- been here too long so I literally translated "frysdisk/freeze plug" :unsure:

We have of course a heater in the car, but in the winter, the temp here (same latitude as Stockholm) is nearly always at -5C, and can easily get to -20C. In the North, I have experienced -40C!

So, when your car has been standing overnight, the engine block is well cold, and all the windows are iced up, sometimes even on the inside (as there will be melted snow from peoples shoes).

So, in our yard is a post with 240V and a timer. I connect my Calix engine block/cabin heater cable to the timer, set it for 2 hours before I drive to work, and go to bed.

When I go to my car in the morning, the windows are ice free, the cabin is warm, and the coolant, if not at running temp, will be after 2 minutes of driving :D Important tip is to remember to disconnect the cable before driving off :o I find a post-it on the steering wheel does the trick.

At many work places you can hire a 240V/timer post, so you can repeat the procedure on the way home.

Diesel cars use a small burner driven by the car's diesel, so you don't even need 240v - the timer is built into the car, and often you can use an app to set it from your smart phone.

Here endeth the lesson

Cheers / Alec

Interesting, well i've learnt something new! Never seen such a contraption, but I guess that's because it's never really that cold in the UK to warrant it!

I would say that anyone living north of my old hunting grounds in North Yorkshire would benefit from the lower fuel consumption and the reduced engine wear - at least if they keep the car for a couple of years. 

post-496-0-50048100-1404401552_thumb.png

Lots of Canadians use these in their winter but not sure whether the UK climate is extreme enough to make one worthwhile, always considered it more a make sure it'll start device than an eco friendly one

Alec