Twigman

Is this part available via Subaru UK and is it dearer than japanparts?

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=65&submit.y=10&NUMBER=00044085&VOLUME=484-010-006&DEALER=1&CAR=177&MIDDLE=2&SMALL=41&MAKER=5&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=177&SEARCH_MIDDLE=2&SEARCH_SMALL=41&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=

The module that plugs into the loom in the driver's door that folds the mirrors in on locking and opens them on engine start.

Does anyone know if available through Subaru UK? If so how do they feel about selling bits to a GT86 owner and anyone know how much it is? Do i really want the wait and the customs hassle? I do think it would be useful though if only as a visual check that the car is locked.

It's pretty cool, but i'm sure someone was selling kits to do this in the states for $40?

This particular part attracts me as it is manufactured by the OEM rather than some back room botch job.

It's pretty cool, but i'm sure someone was selling kits to do this in the states for $40?

There are a number of kits that will do it, but you need to work out the wiring loom for yoruself, this one is as Twigman says, OEM from Subary and just connects straight in, with 1 tap to the door lock mech and easy to fit, and removed if needed.

Subaru UK have just confirmed to me by phone that they are unable to source this part....so it looks like japanparts and a long wait for me again....

why do I want stuff that needs importing all the time?

I actually have the cheap version (which requires slight re-wiring) if any one wants it, just send me a pm.  I got lazy, and ordered the proper Subaru one from Japanparts, received the tracking number about half an hour ago.

Dave

Hmmm I rather press the button. Just like a pilot. : ) I can think of cases where I would not want my mirrors to fold in.

Think its a bit gimmicky and a waste of money...

It's expensive for what it does, but I find it really handy as a visual check being locked. I have a small garage, but I can push the button to close them and they stay closed till I'm out of it, so no accidental opening in tight spaces. Plus they move in everywhere else so no bumps or knocks in Tesco etc.

It's a little bit of "premium" for the car, some people do engines and exhausts, some do cosmetics :)

No cutting, it has a inline tap connector that cuts the insulation but not the wire and taps into it. Bit fiddly to get the right one out and separated (You'll need to remove some of the black insulation electrical tape, then re-tape once you're done.

I'm going to try and find my rattle this weekend so if I have the door card off I'll take a few pics if I remember so you can see which one it is and how I did it.