mattpierce

Countdown is on!

Ive heard this occasionally ony m new 14 plate. only upto 500 miles now, so will wait to see if it stays or gets worse. if still there by 1000 il investigate or take it to the dealer :)

I'm now taking it as she is singing to me. Makes me able to deal with OCD a little bit easier!

It could well be a resonant frequency that is interfering with the speakers through the amp (I think). This tends to rise with revs and will sound like a whistle. 

I had this problem initially on my aftermarket sound system. But for me it was just a matter of changing the input level. Obviously you can't do this. I didn't have that issue on the stock system for the month I had it in the car. 

Just wondering if it's a bad earth somewhere?

It could well be a resonant frequency that is interfering with the speakers through the amp (I think). This tends to rise with revs and will sound like a whistle.

I had this problem initially on my aftermarket sound system. But for me it was just a matter of changing the input level. Obviously you can't do this. I didn't have that issue on the stock system for the month I had it in the car.

Just wondering if it's a bad earth somewhere?

Thanks Lauren, you could be right. And that is what I thought initially. However I thought that it might happen in all gears. Not just 2nd, and maybe a little bit in 1st.

It hasn't stopped me smiling when I drive it. I guess I will wait it out till first service. It may go when I get to open up the revs after the run in?

It would be impossible to get alternator whine on a stock entertainment system. It's caused by low voltage pre-outs. The odds of chassis interference is minimal. I used to get this sound, I can't say I hear it now but i'd imagine it's still there.

What is great is that I have just washed the car and managed to lean on the front wing by accident and dent it!!!

That is some thin metal. Fortunately it is not too noticeable so I will try to forget and get it repaired a bit further down the line after I have driven some more. The paint is not cracked so it is not a complete disaster. Just close!

Unfortunately it dents rather easily. It's a car where there is obvious evidence of weight saving. Be careful with leaning on the bonnet, it's aluminium. 

Once you've got a few dinks you worry about it less. ;)

Yeah, panels are quite thin.....but isn't that the case with most cars these days....I always wince when I see people leaning, resting or sitting on their cars.

Mine still gained 4 bhp (on same dyno) going from about 16k to 20k, so at 5k you still have a long way to go until the engine is fully freed up

Alec

Holy molly!! I've got a 63 car and I've only just passed 5k Lauren. Are you saying I'm not fully run in?

Not yet, no. By run in, I mean everything, gearbox, diff and all that stuff. The engine loosens up more too.