Xrkc6x

new tyres...

Hi guys, hope everybody is happy and doing well, after bhp I'm over the legal limit for tyres which is, if I'm not mistaken, 1,6, so.... please some suggestions? NO TOYO thx ;-)

Also don't really know if it's possible to fit a wider tyres on the same wheels, maybe silly question lol

Thx

What sizes are you running at the moment, Chris? 

I'm thinking of having a go with the Yoko Advan V105's. Really good dry grip and even better wet grip apparently if you believe the tests. Not so hot on fuel consumption and the like, but they seem to be a driver focused tyre. 

As for fitting wider tyres on your wheels, we need to know the width of your wheels and what size you currently have. 

Right, i Cant remember now but on this forum there's a thread on my setup only thing is that I'm in the gym running and can't really look for it hahah

Setup

Tires

TOYO Proxies T1 Sport

Front --> 225/40 R18

Rear --> 245/35 R18

Alloys

WORK Emotion CR-Kiwami Ultimate

Color --> Bronze

Front --> 18" / 8,5 / ET 38

Rear --> 18" / 9,5 ET 38

Car Parts

16mm Camber Adjust Bolt - Pair

Set for Max Caster 2x Front Low Compliance Offset Strut Mount

GT86 Rear Toe Control Arm Set

GT86 Rear Camber Control Arms (Pair)

GT86 Eibach Sportline Kit -35mm

Settings

TOE Front Rear

0 2,5 IN

CAMBER Front Rear

2 degrees 1,5 degrees

Lower -40mm --> yes i know the springs were the 35mm ones but in the end it dropped 40mm

Well the wider tyre you fit on the rear the more your car will understeer, i.e. when you turn it will not steer enough and go straight on. 

This setup (what you currently run) will affect the handling balance. It will make it safer, but it will make the car less fun on the limit. 

I wouldn't run a staggered setup personally, I admit though I like the rear to move around a little. 

A wider tyre is also heavier which is not a good thing for handling adding unsprung weight where you don't want it. It's not good for economy either as there will be more rolling resistance. I guess you can tell, I'm not a fan! ;)

But, it's a personal preference. 

Have a look here, it will tell you the maximum widths for your wheel sizes. Personally I prefer wheels that are slightly too wide giving a little stretch (I currently have a 215 on an 8" rim), it stiffens the sidewall and sharpens the handling a little. A drifters favourite trick of course. ;)

http://www.willtheyfit.com

First of all thanks, i just wanted more grip as now when I push all the throttle my rear wheels spins even in 3rd gear and sometime in high boost map even on 4th so... Also I'm not gonna change alloys, therefore I will need to fit what I can on the actual setup or just change tyres :-)

If you are running Toyos, a better tyre may well significantly improve things for you. 

Toyo's are a cheap budget tyre really. I had them on a DC2 once. The sidewalls are too soft, they really ruined the turn in. 

Might be worth asking what width Adrian's rears are as he is using 265's. 

But, if you keep the fronts at 225s your car really will not handle.

I would also say, why not just ease off the power if it wheelspins in third and fourth? Even on a relatively stock NA I can get wheelspin in third in the wet, but I just ease off if it happens. There is a lot of fun to be had from balancing the grip levels under acceleration. You may just have to reduce how quickly you press the throttle pedal to the floor rather than just slamming it. You will struggle to get your power down at times, but you are pushing out a serious amount of horsepower more than standard. 

Or you could fit tyres more suitable for drag racing if you are going to go down that route. 

Also you can leave the stability control on as that will cut any significant wheelspin. Cheaper than buying new tyres. ;)

Another thing to consider is how optimal is your suspension? IIRC you are running Koni's. You can always try adjusting them to see how it affects grip levels under acceleration. 

Chris, I'd go with a lot that Lauren suggests. Especially as, with forced induction, you cannot 'slam the throttle open', that extra power will bite you. You need to roll your foot off the brake pedal and ease the throttle open... feed more power in gently !!

I am now running 17" x 9" all round fitted Michelin Sport 3 245/40R/17. (Previously I was running 17" x 8" fitted Goodyear F1 Eagle 225/45/17). I've gone for Sport 3's following LFA's experiences of them and following/watching the Ginettas around the Indy circuit at the RMA Brands Trackday (it's their 'regulated' tyre for the Ginetta Cup)

My feeling on my new setup (after Barkston Heath) is that this is too much tyre for the rim, I should have gone for 235 section - or for 9.5" rims. Reason? The side walls are presently vertical and 'squirm' on cornering - I run them at 28psi cold, 32psi hot - yes, one can put more air in them but then the tread contact and ride is compromised with a domed profile. The car would, I think, feel more stable with tyre walls that were, like Lauren's, wider at the rim than at the tread (although her 215 on 8" is extreme, in my opinion..!)

Hopefully Lauren, and possibly Adrian, will be trying my car on the current setup at the Blyton Park Trackday in June so I'll find out if others agree with me.. if so, it's off to A&S Tyres for a set of 235's..

... on your staggered setup I'd go 235 profile on the front, 245 profile on the rear. Your 18" rims demand low profile walls, so you should certainly feel the difference on turn in.. and don't inflate them too much, I've spend hours trying different pressures on non-Primacy tyres, from 27psi - 37psi (hot) and the difference is significant.

Spec K

Been reading and understood, so probably ill go for

Front --> 235/35 R18

Rear --> 245/35 R18

With everything else same as before, now I just need to choose tyres...

What you think about the above tyres?

Thanks all guys, learning learning ;-)

Thx!

If you're not going mad on the track, Contisport Contact 5's. 

For a bit of a mix the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are probably a good bet, though I've no experience of them. 

The Yoko Advan V105s should also be a good bet. I'm likely going for these, haven't got them on yet though. 

Ok i was thinking to yoko too, do you think the measures are going to be too stretched on the wheels i got now? Also unwanted the 35 on front too, what's your thoughts on that?

Thanks once again guys ;-)

Well proportionately the difference between 235 and 245 in regard to profile is relatively little so you should be fine. 

It shouldn't be a problem for your rim width. 235 will be fine on an 8.5" rim I would have thought. 

You've already got 245 is going to be fine on a 9.5" rim as you're already running them. 

Chris, I'd go with a lot that Lauren suggests. Especially as, with forced induction, you cannot 'slam the throttle open', that extra power will bite you. You need to roll your foot off the brake pedal and ease the throttle open... feed more power in gently !!

I am now running 17" x 9" all round fitted Michelin Sport 3 245/40R/17. (Previously I was running 17" x 8" fitted Goodyear F1 Eagle 225/45/17). I've gone for Sport 3's following LFA's experiences of them and following/watching the Ginettas around the Indy circuit at the RMA Brands Trackday (it's their 'regulated' tyre for the Ginetta Cup)

My feeling on my new setup (after Barkston Heath) is that this is too much tyre for the rim, I should have gone for 235 section - or for 9.5" rims. Reason? The side walls are presently vertical and 'squirm' on cornering - I run them at 28psi cold, 32psi hot - yes, one can put more air in them but then the tread contact and ride is compromised with a domed profile. The car would, I think, feel more stable with tyre walls that were, like Lauren's, wider at the rim than at the tread (although her 215 on 8" is extreme, in my opinion..!)

Hopefully Lauren, and possibly Adrian, will be trying my car on the current setup at the Blyton Park Trackday in June so I'll find out if others agree with me.. if so, it's off to A&S Tyres for a set of 235's..

... on your staggered setup I'd go 235 profile on the front, 245 profile on the rear. Your 18" rims demand low profile walls, so you should certainly feel the difference on turn in.. and don't inflate them too much, I've spend hours trying different pressures on non-Primacy tyres, from 27psi - 37psi (hot) and the difference is significant.

Spec K

PS3s? I thought LFA's running PSS, and PSS > PS3 > PS2...check out http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657104

I ran PS2s on my Impreza and PS3s on the M3 and I found both great tyres, but I'm thinking of PSS as my new tyre of choice for this car (on 18s)

Lauren i was talking about the height , at the moment I have 40 on the front and wanted 35 so was wondering if it was ok

Michelin? Uhmmmm also I want semi slick!!! Hahahah

Lauren i was talking about the height , at the moment I have 40 on the front and wanted 35 so was wondering if it was ok

Sorry! 

Yes, should be fine. 

You won't want semi slicks when you hit standing water. For a car that just sees very occasional track use I really wouldn't go for semi slicks like 888's or AD08R's. You'll have to get heat into them to get them to work and that is harder to do on the road. 

Been reading and understood, so probably ill go for

Front --> 235/35 R18

Rear --> 245/35 R18

With everything else same as before, now I just need to choose tyres...

What you think about the above tyres?

Thanks all guys, learning learning ;-)

Thx!

Why 35 profile? (I think I know why!  but you should explain your logic, Cris!)

Spec K

A lower profile won't give you more grip. It will make the front of the car feel sharper, but you will lose progressiveness when it reaches the limit of adhesion.

Your profiles front to rear won't match because you have different width tyres. Whether you go for a 40 profile or a 35 profile is up to you, probably good to pick whatever is closer to a 245/35 in terms of sidewall height. 

Yep make sense!

I'll go for

Front --> 245/35 R18

Rear --> 265/35 R18

Or

Front --> 235/35 R18

Rear --> 255/35 R18

Whatever will be no stretched too much on the actual wheels.

If it was me I would go for 

Front --> 235/35 R18
Rear --> 255/35 R18

I think grip wise you should look at adjusting your Koni's slightly, I used to understeer and a slight adjustment to the Koni's (Softening the damper) as well as a bit more toe in on the front made it a lot sharper and it stuck better. In terms of your wheel spinning, you have an animal, just some more throttle control required imo, gotta look after it otherwise it will bite you at the end of the day... lol