GT86-Ian

Door Speakers

As my door cards are off due to fitting new mirror covers thought I might as well get new speakers fitted, I've already got a pioneer head unit fitted so thinking about purchasing these http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/focal-pc165-6-5-17-cm-2-way-coaxial-car-audio-speakers-120w.html will these be ok ?

What power is the headunit putting out? Assuming you don't want to amp it. These are rated at 60w I assume the headunit puts out 55w (Normally do) you will get some distortion top end but should work after cutting some wires.

I have Focal PS165 which are components, which I recommend for sound quality over 2-ways, but they will require alot more work to install. Even if you put a single component 6.5" in and keep the OEM tweeters then you will notice a significant difference in sound quality as the stock ones are awful.

I had to make a custom mounting baffle out of 1/4" MDF as I couldn't find an adapter to fit aftermarket speakers to the Toyota 3-bolt bracket anywhere. My speakers are the same depth as yours and clear the window by about 1/8" so you may be very close if your baffle isn't very thick.

Endeed. When one looks on pricing of something like official JBL Sound Pack option, or OEM+ offerings, that sounds just like spare change.

BTW, among oemaudio+ offerings i noticed recent addition that seemed interesting to me, their new C3 set (amp, front tweeters, front mid speakers, front woofers, front rear speakers). Of course, Reference 450Q might do better due sub in trunk, but what i wished - something not using any trunk space/volume that already is not too big in our coupes. Price is extraorbitant as most their products, but at it's custom tailored for our cars and will save some time on experimenting / testing multiple individual component combinations to get good sound at some degree of assurance, then for some maybe worth it.

OEM Audio+ Isn't particularly expensive when you look at the fact it comes with DSP & Amp along with 2 way comps (now 3-way, but i'm unsure how they wire in UK application as we simply don't have the loom there) Components and 8" Sub. I've had it for some time and would say that if you wanted a reasonably priced system that is a simply plug & play kit then go for it. 

I was going to do a proper build but couldn't be arsed in the end so went for it. If you wanted another similar aftermarket kit you'd be paying the same price anyway.

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Do your's have a separate crossover, Sarah? Can't see it in the description. 

The crossovers are integrated into the woofers, which is apparently the same as the factory wiring. I'll fit mine at some point...

FWIW, I think I paid about £130 for my set.

They are 60W RMS. They'll benefit from an amp. Most head units claim to have 4x50W, but fail to state if this is RMS or PMPO. One time I bought a head unit, it declared the output as "4x50W peak. 4x13W RMS". Since then, I've always amped my speakers using an amp delivering RMS output close to the RMS handling of the speakers I fit. It makes a massive difference!

Class D amps are very compact, deliver great sound and don't cost much. I imported both my amps via Amazon.com and saved a fortune!

I hope this helps someone, and I'm sorry again for necroing this thread.

6 minutes ago, Tareim said:

when you say set is that 2 speakers? can't say I've ever spent more than £50 on 2 speakers

Two woofers and two tweeters. You get what you pay for. I'm building my system for sound quality, not SPL, and putting shitty speakers in a £30k car doesn't seem right to me.

Those IS 165Toy speakers look like they have a capacitor in series with the tweeter wiring which forms a high pass filter. The bass units probably dont have a crossover as they naturally roll of as frequency increases.

They look good to me for use with the OE headunit due the high sensitivity, and can be had for £145 from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-IS165TOY-Component-Speakers-Fortuner/dp/B010TR7NBM

If anyone's interested, I'll be wiring my Focal IS165TOY speakers up to a Clarion XC1410 - http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products-personal/speaker/XC1410/ - amplifier, which will also handle the rear channels. 4x50W RMS, weighs next to nothing, can run on the factory speaker cables and should be plenty loud enough :-)

Those Clarion amps go for about £100.

Realistically, Sam, it's not worth having rear speakers. They don't contribute and a decent set of two ways for the fronts and a sub will make it easier to set the sound up properly. 

I reckon you're better off sinking your money into decent front speakers with the money you save from not buying replacement rears. Best thing to do with the rears is disconnect them. 

The only reason I'm hooking up anything to my rear holes at all is that I have a four-channel amplifier and a spare set of reasonable-ish (it's tough to find anything "good" in 4" size) Vibe Slick 4 coax speakers.

I may just put insulation tape on the amp outputs for the rear channels and leave them disconnected...

You also need to get Dynomat Sarah, for your doors and boot floor etc. Can't believe you haven't fitted your door speakers though, I reckon it can't be more than an hours work, simply a matter of taking the door cards off and putting the new speakers in. 

14 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You also need to get Dynomat Sarah, for your doors and boot floor etc. Can't believe you haven't fitted your door speakers though, I reckon it can't be more than an hours work, simply a matter of taking the door cards off and putting the new speakers in. 

I have Dynamat. I have the new head unit. I have the new speakers. I have the new power cabling for the amps. I have the RCA lead for the sub and reversing camera. I have the front camera. I have the GPS antenna.

What I don't have is enough time. I want to do all of it in one go over a weekend.

Are you up for helping me? ;-)

I think you need to do it in daylight, Sarah. For my limited time left in Reading and doing 13 hour days at work, I don't really have anytime where I could help you. 

Do it over a weekend I think, makes the most sense.