will300

Making Carbon Fibre Wheels

That's is soooo friggin cool, love Koenigseggs!  The whole technology and development of carbon fibre is so fascinating, when I had the tour around the Red Bull Racing manufacturing and inspection plant in Milton Keynes the other day, the guy I was supporting was showing me around the carbon fibre area and telling me how important it is to make sure that the weaves are flowing in the right directions, right angles, and how important it is that certain areas of the carbon fibre have to keeps it's shape and form when baked etc that they are currently using 3 techniques which are all similar but different materials for which they wrap the carbon fibre around.  Firstly you've got light weight aluminium honey comb structures similar to what Koenigsegg use I believe, you've got a really light yet strong foam which are very stable and don't deform at all while being baked, both these methods are designed to remain in there after the part has been produce and lastly they're working on a plastic that can easily be formed to the shape they need within a kinda pouch, wrap that in carbon fibre, bake it and then they are able to rework the plastic so it's soft and pliable again so they can just pull it out leaving a strong yet hollow carbon fibre component.

This is even more cool:

Using 3D scanning technology to scan components, especially free form components that are difficult to replicate in a CAD package such as car seats (my company has scanned quite a few F1 seats for this very purpose of reproducing them to fit perfectly to particular F1 drivers).  3D scanning and 3D printing go hand in had so well, I recently trained up some people from an aerospace company who forked out half a mil on a titanium printer to print components that are to be actually used on an air craft.  I know there's a lot now days that you can print, plastics, metal hell you can even print flesh and muscle (print steak or burger anyone?), but I'm intrigued by printing carbon fibre, first I've heard about that, wonder how well that works.

I love this 3D print idea... plastic or metal... just wish I had the techy-knowledge and CAD program to set it up..

I want tyre valve covers in the shape of naked wimmin... with colour change for over/under pressure... oooerr...

Spec K