Twigman

Anyone hooked up iPod classic via USB?

My iTunes library is too big for my phone.

I am considering getting an iPod specifically to live in the car so that I have my whole music library in the car all the time.

i am disappointed at the inability to browse music via bluetooth and find that with my iPhone connected via bluetooth very difficult to select the appropriate music. It works fine via USB but I don't want to have to plug my phone in all the time.

I am confident the iPod touch would work well when connected via USB as it is almost an iPhone but without the phone bit but £329 for 64GB version seems steep when compared with the 160GB of storage on the iPod classic @ £199

What functionality would you get on the T&G touch screen on the iPod Classic connected via USB?

Would you get full browsing, album art and full play function?

Will it charge?

Are there any limitations?

I could wire the iPod into the USB port and leave it in the car, only taking it out to sync new stuff.

It has full functionality as far as i'm aware and it should charge it. It struggles to charge my phone when i'm using it as a satnav but using a 12v socket solves that. An iPod uses considerably less juice than a phone though.. Does you iphone work in the car? if so the iPod will

Does you iphone work in the car? if so the iPod will

rob - not necessarily so - my iPhone5 works (but can't browse via bluetooth) meaning an iPod Touch would work as uses same IOS - iPod Classic is quite different though.

I use an iPod Classic, but I admit I changed my head unit, so not a great amount of help. 

It should be fine though in all honesty and it is a great device in and out of the car with 160Gb of storage. 

On USB it should have no issues. I remember my phone working fine on USB for the whole month I had a standard head unit! 

Bluetooth is a poor way to listen to music anyway. 

I use a 120gb ipod classic (on the T+G HU) and it works perfectly. you get album art, charging and the browsing is OK (as I have quite a large collection).

I did look at the touch, as a potential upgrade (SSD has got to be best in a car environment!?), but it didn't have GPS which annoyed me as the only app I would use on that rather than my note 2 is runkeeper. PLus the fact that in reality it just lives in my glovebox!

As Lauren says, best not to use Bluetooth, though admit it is quite nifty just getting in and it starting to stream!

HTH

Neil 

If you don't actually need that big of a drive, might be worth considering one of these mini USB flash drives:

SanDisk-Cruzer-Fit-Micro-size-16GB-USB-F

I brought a 32gb one that is always left plugged in for about £15 I think but you can get a 64gb one for about £30.

why not copy all the stuff to a |SD card?

Usability issues are less with an iPod, it interfaces better to the head unit from my understanding. Some have had issues with how things are listed and the likes when using SD cards. Also some of us use an iPod for our music needs in and out of the car, so it depends how you use it.